[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update January 2023

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 10 10:45:35 PST 2023

Dear all,

Happy New Year!

I hope you all had restful holidays, and that you're energized by the full moon in Cancer kicking off 2023.

I've been furiously adding new and notable SF/F releases to the Eaton Collection's purchase list - but these last few weeks have actually seen the acquisition of a few really exciting archival pieces. BEHOLD:

  *   A small collection of Kong-related scripts, 1961-1980. A really fun mini-archive chronicling the production of the Dino De Laurentiis' 1976 King Kong remake, and related materials. Look out for this in an exhibit later in the year...

  *   Medea: Harlan's World, Phantasia Press, 1985. Signed Limited Edition. A fabulous anthology signed by the contributors: true heavyweights of the genre.

  *   Psychopathia Sexualis: eine Klinisch-Forensische Studie (Sexual Psychopathy: A Clinical-Forensic Study, also known as Psychopathia Sexualis, with Especial Reference to the Antipathetic Sexual Instinct: A Medico-forensic Study), Richard von Krafft-Ebing. First Edition. A lovely edition of a landmark text in the history of sexuality.

These may take a few weeks to be cataloged so, as always, do check the library's website and/or reach out to me if you have any questions.

In other news, we're in the process of installing new exhibits in Special Collections and Archives, so come and visit us on the 4th floor of Rivera Library between 10am and 4pm Monday-Friday to see new materials 'in the wild.'

That's all for now. Wishing you all a great start to the quarter!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month: Kindred, Octavia E. Butler (1979)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:e21630d1-1511-43d6-8445-fc5679216886]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.