[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian Update February 2023

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Mon Feb 6 16:54:54 PST 2023

Dear all,

I hope you're doing well!

No acquisitions yet this month in anticipation of the California International Antiquarian Book Fair taking place February 10-12th in Pasadena, which I'll be attending, so more news soon...

That said, I have a few pieces of exciting news to share:

  *   The first exhibit in our 'Power of Language' series is now installed on the fourth floor of the Rivera Library, so do come and check it out between 10am-4pm when we're open!

  *
You can also see an exhibit case of new Eaton purchases located to the left of the SCUA reference desk, curated by yours truly.

  *   Finally: if you're interested in comics and graphic novels, make sure you sign up for an online presentation with me, Processing Archivist Andrew Lippert, and SDSU's Comic Arts Curator Pamela Jackson on February 14th. We'll be showcasing new items and talking about collecting directions in the field. What better way to spend Valentine's Day? Sign up via Eventrbite at the following link: Comics Collecting for Social Justice in Academic Libraries Tickets, Tue, Feb 14, 2023 at 11:00 AM | Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/comics-collecting-for-social-justice-in-academic-libraries-tickets-525863430677?aff=ebdsoporgprofile>

More soon!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month: The Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien (1954-1955; all three of 'em!)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:afc0e0fd-ec6f-4499-8abd-f85af5536d9d]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.