[Sfts-faculty] internal review of the minor

Sherryl Vint sherrylv at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 21 17:37:25 PST 2022

Dear SFCS colleagues,

I'm writing to you because I've been informed that The Committee on
Educational Policy Subcommittee is conducting an internal review of our
minor. I must begin with an apology because I was informed of this shortly
before the end of Fall quarter, and fully intended to get to this earlier,
but various crises in my other responsibilities meant I was delayed until
today.

And basically, lack of time to focus on the Minor is the story of the Minor
for this internal review.

So, I've written the report as requested, following precisely the model
provided. They also asked for data about how many students begin but don't
complete the minor, but neither this committee nor the Dean's office could
offer any mechanism for tracking said data, and so that is going to have to
be good enough.

This report is actually due today, but of course I can't submit it without
consultation with affiliated faculty. So, they will have to wait until next
week.

Please send me your comments on this by the end of the day on Monday
January 24. I apologise for this very truncated review time, but the report
is very short--only just over 2 pages (and this is consistent with the
model I was provided). I hope I haven't misrepresented anyone's views here,
and of course I'll incorporate any suggestions for change that I am sent.

I do not know the stakes of this internal review, but I will enquire when I
submit the report.

Thanks everyone for your work on this minor and I look forward to working
with you to better publicise and support this program.

thanks,
Sherryl

Sherryl Vint (she/her)
Professor and Chair, Department of English

*"We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our
**responsibility
to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, **and air: the
Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of **their ancestors
and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this **meeting place is
home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, **including UCR
faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the **opportunity
to live and work on these homelands."*