[Sfts-faculty] CfP: Michigan Quarterly Review

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Tue Aug 30 14:38:46 PDT 2022

Hi folks,

Just forwarding on a CfP from Michigan Quarterly Review for a special issue titled 'SomaFlights' (with fabulous guest editors!)

Deadline: November 1st.

Fire to your writerly endeavors!

Warmly,

Phoenix

#

Greetings,

My name is Lauren Champlin, and I am and intern for Michigan Quarterly Review, an international literary journal and the flagship journal of the University of Michigan.

I write to share a publication opportunity that may be of interest to students and faculty in your department.

We are currently accepting article, essay, memoir, fiction, poetry, graphic narrative, and visual art submissions for our upcoming special issue, "SomaFlights," guest edited by Vidhu Aggarwal and Petra Kuppers.

Please note that the deadline for submissions is November 1.

Many thanks,

The Team at MQR

----

Special Issue Call for Submissions—SomaFlights

Submissions open August 15th - November 1st

Click here to submit<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmqr.submittable.com%2Fsubmit&data=05%7C01%7Cjamie.morris%40yale.edu%7C8330c3ef14d44a6df29708da8a0a7c2e%7Cdd8cbebb21394df8b4114e3e87abeb5c%7C0%7C0%7C637974076386492880%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=hAmjOU0VxNsgyaZG%2FP5Rz%2BD%2FVWV9er7GzvOd094PTJc%3D&reserved=0>

Dock with us to explore the tectonics of somatic imaginations. Fly with synesthetic energies, grounded in delicious sensory embodiment. Let the genres mix and flail in hyperdrive. Our travel themes twine around the cyber avatar, spaceship architectures, steampunk air messages from the futures. Bring us your smooth or rough, edgy, connected, recombinant or disjointed glimpses of different heterotopias: from Sun Ra’s funk to global futurisms, from crip fabulation to Afro-pessimism, from solarpunk to trans bots. We welcome collaborative as well as solo alchemies.

This issue will be published in April of 2023. Maximum length for articles, essays and works of fiction is 7,000 words. Poetry submissions must not exceed 10 pages (or comparable length for other genres). All work should be formatted such that it can be printed on 6” x 9” pages. Incorporation of graphics is permitted; however, we cannot guarantee that any work will be printed in color. All material submitted will be considered simultaneously for publication in MQR Online. If Submittable is not accessible to you, please email mqr at umich.edu<mailto:mqr at umich.edu> with your concern.

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:7d34e452-4f0b-47cb-b7dc-7fb3bc2c9e80]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.