[Sfts-faculty] Fwd: Fantasy Magazine - Embargoed Early Copy - September 2022 Issue #83

andré carrington andre.carrington at ucr.edu
Tue Aug 23 09:44:39 PDT 2022

For all interested parties.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Fantasy Magazine <editors at fantasy-magazine.com>
Date: Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 9:04 PM
Subject: Fantasy Magazine - Embargoed Early Copy - September 2022 Issue #83

Good evening!

I was excited about this last month, and I'm still excited - Eugen Bacon &
Seb Doubinsky's story, "The Failing Name" (*Fantasy *issue 70, August 2021)
is a finalist for a World Fantasy Award
<https://locusmag.com/2022/07/2022-world-fantasy-awards-finalists/>!

Christie & I are also World Fantasy Award finalists for our editorial work,
for the second year in a row!

In any case, I wanted to make sure you have this -

Attached, please find *early, embargoed copies (ARCs)* of *Fantasy
Magazine* September
2022, issue #83, featuring all origina*l *work*:*

*Short fiction* by
Jennifer Hudak - "The Weight of it All"
K.S. Walker - "How to Join a Colony of Sea-Folk; or, Other Ways of Knowing"

*Flash fiction* by
Jen Brown - "The Probability of One"
Samantha Murray - "This Blue World"

*Poetry* by
Sharang Biswas - "I Kissed a Dragon"
Angel Leal - "The Hole is the Beginning"

PLUS! Part two of a collective interview with the Locus Awards Top Ten
Finalists, Best Fantasy Novel Category (alphabetically): Ryka Aoki,
FondaLee, NaomiNovik, and C.L.Polk.

See below for more ToC's from 2022. I hope you enjoy the issue : )

-Arley

*Some Accolades -*

Shingai Njeri Kagunda's story "And This Is How To Stay Alive" is on the
Nommo Awards Shortlist!
https://locusmag.com/2022/05/2022-nommo-awards-shortlist/

*Fantasy Magazine* poems by Priya Chand and Terese Mason Pierre landed on
the 2022 Ignyte Awards
<https://locusmag.com/2022/04/2022-ignyte-awards-finalists/> shortlist, as
well as a nonfiction piece by Vida Cruz; Yilin Wang's *Fantasy Magazine* poem
landed on the 2022 Aurora Awards shortlist
<https://locusmag.com/2022/04/2022-aurora-awards-ballot/>.

We had 5 poems on the Rhysling Nomination list, 1 poem on the Dwarf Stars
Nomination list.

Christie and I were recently Locus Awards Finalists in the Best Editor
category; of course, we'll be riding the joy of being named Finalists for a
2021 World Fantasy Award for a very long time, as well!

Separately, I was also honored as an Ignyte Award finalist in the Best
Critic and the Creative Nonfiction categories, and I recently received a
SFWA Kate Wilhelm Solstice Award!

Works from our issues have appeared in ToCs for the Year's Best Fantasy
<https://paulaguran.com/content-of-the-years-best-fantasy-volume-one-edited-by-paula-guran/>
, The Year's Best African Speculative Fiction
<https://jembefola.com/the-years-best-african-speculative-fiction-2021/>, The
Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy
<http://www.johnjosephadams.com/best-american/projects/best-american-science-fiction-and-fantasy-2021/>,
and The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror Vol 2
<https://paulaguran.com/the-years-best-dark-fantasy-horror-vol-2-content/>
anthologies
(among others).

This year we had 13 stories on the SFWA Nebula Reading List
<https://www.sfwa.org/forum/reading/4-shortstory/?filter=2021>, 3 stories
on the BSFA Longlist
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfYJMgnyh3m2INDPx_UIp7ZX7uvy6Nk7h0xSsx-lobr3sgqBw/viewform>,
as well as work on the Locus Recommended Reading
<https://locusmag.com/2021/02/2020-locus-recommended-reading-list/>
 list, the Nommo nomination
<http://www.africansfs.com/nommos/nominationresults2021longlist> list, and
more.

We have even seen stories from our mag being taught at several writing
classes, and appearing on "best of" and "recommended" lists put together by
a number of respected reviewers and review sites!

We've seen* so many *wonderful reviews and responses across a variety of
venues....

If you haven't given the magazine a glance yet, I hope you'll take a look.
These authors are fantastic!

If you find something you like, please spread the word. Letting folks know
you enjoyed something you read is so crucial to the health and future of
magazines, especially when so many aspects of publishing are mired in
uncertainty.

Please feel free to email me with any questions. Thank you for your time!

-Arley Sorg
co-Editor-in-Chief, Fantasy Magazine
https://www.fantasy-magazine.com/

*News/updates -*

Fresh off teaching workshops for Clarion West, Augur Magazine, and more -

co-Editor-in-Chief Christie Yant & I were guest speakers at the Cascade
Workshop:
http://cascadewriters.com/2022-three-day-critique-workshop/

I'll am currently a guest critiquer for Odyssey:
https://www.odysseyworkshop.org/about-the-workshop/

and I'll be a guest Distinguished Guest at Voodoonauts
<https://twitter.com/voodoonauts/status/1506148168051806209>

Fresh off being on panels at World Fantasy in Montreal, I was on a bunch of
panels at DisCon III <https://discon3.org/> (aka Worldcon). More recently I
was on a panel at the SFWA Nebula Conference <https://events.sfwa.org/>.

And I was a guest editor for Apex Magazine's "Snap Judgment"
https://www.patreon.com/posts/apex-magazine-3-61592348

Come see the latest Adamant Voices/Lightspeed Live videos!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZdG4drbO2mhN1P_vSb11iA

Our current publication schedule each month includes two original short
stories and two pieces of flash fiction, along with a feature interview or
an essay, and an assortment of poetry. Each issue’s contents are serialized
on our website throughout the month.

You can read *Fantasy *for free online, or you can read and subscribe to
our ebook editions. Our ebook issues publish on the first of every month
and are available for sale via our ebookstore
<https://www.fantasy-magazine.com/support/store/> (in Mobi, ePub, and PDF
format) and are also available in other formats such as Kindle and Nook.
You can also subscribe to our ebook edition in a variety of formats; visit
our Subscribe <https://www.fantasy-magazine.com/subscribe> page for more
details.

Website: https://www.fantasy-magazine.com/about-fantasy/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/fantasymagazine

*Previously... *

*Fantasy Magazine* August 2022, issue #82, as always, featured all origina
*l *work*:*

*Short fiction* by
Eliza Chan - "The Tails That Make You"
PH Lee - "A True and Certain Proof of the Messianic Age, with two lemmas"

*Flash fiction* by
M.H. Ayinde - "Girlfriend Material"
Mary Soon Lee - "Introduction to Couture 101"

*Poetry* by
Nana Afadua Ofori-Atta - "The God's Wife"
Yvette Lisa Ndlovu - "The Himba Destroyer"

PLUS! Part one of a collective interview with the Locus Awards Top Ten
Finalists, Best Fantasy Novel Category (alphabetically): Katherine Addison
(Sarah Monette), Zen Cho, T. Kingfisher (Ursula Vernon), TJ Klune, and
Cadwell Turnbull.

*Fantasy Magazine* July 2022, issue #81, featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
B. S - "Odd Peas in a Pod"
Sabrina Vourvoulias - "The Memory of Chemistry"

*Flash fiction* by
Lindsey Godfrey Eccles - "A Star is Born"
Michelle Muenzler - "The Life and Death of Atomic Tangerine"

*Poetry* by
Shilpa Kamat - "Goldilocks"
AJ Wentz - "Self-Inflicted Haunt"

PLUS! An interview with *The Poppy War* and *Babel *author RF Kuang!

*Fantasy Magazine* June 2022, issue #80, featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
Fatima Taqvi - "Baba Nowruz Gives His Wife A Flower Only Once A Year"
Sara S. Messenger - "Potemora in the Triad"

*Flash fiction* by
Victor Forna - "rat/god"
Wen Wen Yang - "The Magical Sow"

*Poetry* by
Doriana Diaz - "noonday reflections"
Beatrice Winifred Iker "Georgia Clay Blood"

PLUS! Essay "Oral Storytelling and Culture as Personal Canon" by Nebula
Award Finalist Suzan Palumbo!

*Fantasy Magazine* May 2022, issue #79, featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
Dominique Dickey - "Drowned Best Friend"
K.J. Chien - "One Day the Cave Will Be Empty"

*Flash fiction* by
Katherine Ley - "How to Make Love to a Ciguapa"
Ernesto Fuentes - "Mirage Stories"

*Poetry* by
Soonest Nathaniel - "Evolve"
Alyza May T. Taguilaso "Methuselah Performs a Magic Trick"

PLUS! An interview with the editors of anthology *Trouble the **Waters*, Sheree
Renée Thomas, Troy L. Wiggins & Pan Morigan!

*Fantasy Magazine* April 2022, issue #78, featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
Hannah Yang - "How To Make A Man Love You"
Kristina Ten - "Beginnings"

*Flash fiction* by
Martins Deep - "isio"
Rachel Locascio - "Practical Childcare Considerations For Knights Errant"

*Poetry* by
Laura Ruby - "Alice Is Much Farther Than She Appears"
May Chong - "Great Sage, Protector of Horses"

PLUS! Essay "Stereotypes, Godhood, and The Wicked + The Divine" by notable
short fiction and poetry author Priya Chand!

*Fantasy Magazine* March 2022, issue #77, featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
Isabel J. Kim - "Christopher Mills, Return to Sender"
Gabrielle Harbowy - "The Dybbuk Ward"

*Flash fiction* by
Marie H. Lewis - "I Have Reached Into The Quantum Basket"
Lisa M. Bradley - "Collecting Ynes"

*Poetry* by
Alex Jennings - "Negative Detection"
Cislyn Smith - "Stilling"

PLUS! An interview with author of the Sixth World series, Race to the
Sun, Black
Sun and Fevered Star, and much more, Rebecca Roanhorse!

*Fantasy Magazine* February 2022, issue #76 featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
Dominique Dickey - "Slow Communication"
S. Fambul - "Cousins Season"

*Flash fiction* by
Areeba Memon - "The Unseen"
Julia August - "After Naxos, Ariadne"

*Poetry* by
Bogi Takács - "The Prophet, To His Angel"
Mark Dimaisip - "Mister Potato Head"

PLUS a collective interview with short fictioneers extraordinaire:
Christopher Caldwell, WC Dunlap, Tenea D. Johnson, Sam J. Miller, Russell
Nichols, Suzan Palumbo, Pamela Rentz, Eden Royce, and A.C. Wise!

*Fantasy Magazine* January 2022, issue #75 featured*:*

*Short fiction* by
Shalini Srinivasan - "Markets: A Beginner's Guide"
Corey Flintoff - "Free Coffin"

*Flash fiction* by
Moses Ose Utomi - "The Mirror Test"
Saswati Chatterjee - "Pest Control"

*Poetry* by
Maria Dong - "Cherries, Sweet and Tart"
Betsy Aoki - "Ōmagatoki"

PLUS an interview with author of *War Girls*, *Riot Baby*, and *Goliath*,
Tochi Onyebuchi!

--
andré m. carrington

Associate Professor of English
Speculative Blackness: The Future of Race in Science Fiction
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/speculative-blackness>