[Sfts-faculty] Livestream of book launch: Malay sf collection from Singapore

Weihsin Gui weihsing at ucr.edu
Mon Aug 23 09:16:31 PDT 2021

Dear SFCS faculty colleagues,

FYI those of us who are interested in global/postcolonial/indigenous sf.

My colleague Nazry Bahrawi from Singapore has edited a collection of Malay
sf translated into English, titled *Singa-Pura-Pura*. There's a launch
event/livestream on Facebook Live on *Friday September 3rd, 8 PM, US
Pacific time*.

I've included below links to the Facebook Live event page with details and
also the publisher's site for those who may want to purchase the ebook.

-- Regards,
Weihsin

********************

"Livestream: Malays Speculating Futures | Launch of Singa-Pura-Pura"

https://www.facebook.com/events/881515942464964

This is a free livestream event that will be available to watch on the
Ethos Books Facebook page on Saturday, 4 Sep, 11.00AM – 12.00PM. (Note:
that's *Friday 3rd September 8:00 PM, US Pacific time*)

Please message Ethos Books on Facebook if you require any access needs
(e.g. live captions, sign language interpreting). All are welcome and we
would love to have you with us!

Unmistakeably drawn from the minority Malay experience, the stories
gathered in Singa-Pura-Pura resist hegemony and is arguably the first
anthology of its kind in the hustling Singlit scene. With the title
alluding to the act of pretense on the personal and collective, and even
national front, these speculative fictions reveal more of who we are than
what we show. Join Diana Rahim, Hassan Hasaa’Ree Ali, and Nazry Bahrawi as
they discuss tropes and tradition, translation and transcendence at the
launch of Singa-Pura-Pura. Moderated by Siti Hazirah Mohamad—expect no
stone left unturned.

If you're outside Singapore, *Singa-Pura-Pura* can be purchased right now
as an ebook from the publisher, Ethos Books:

https://www.ethosbooks.com.sg/products/singa-pura-pura?variant=40316132327599