[Sfts-faculty] Climate Crisis Conversation: Kim Stanley Robinson and Gerry Canavan

Sherryl Vint sherrylv at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 1 15:06:44 PDT 2021

*Science Fiction & Climate Crisis*

*April 6 at 6pm*

*Virtual Event*

Join us for the first event in our free lecture series that explores what
science fiction might teach us about real-world problems.

*Kim Stanley Robinson *- Hugo and Nebula award-winning author of over
twenty books, including the internationally bestselling Mars trilogy, and
more recently *Red Moon*, *New York 2140*, and *The Ministry for the Future*
.

*in conversation with*

*Gerry Canavan * - Associate Professor of English (Marquette University),
journal editor and author of*Octavia E. Butler* (University of Illinois
Press, 2016), among other works.

Moderated by:

*Sherryl Vint* - Professor, UCR (English/Media & Cultural Studies),
Director of the Speculative Fictions and Cultures of Science Program

One of the distinct characteristics of science fiction is that it can tell
stories that exceed normal human time scales, spanning hundreds, if not
thousands of years. It often narrates such stories from nonhuman
perspectives, drawing attention to how human lives are entangled with and
dependent upon ecosystems and other species. These qualities make it an
ideal genre for grappling with the reality of climate change: how our past
contributed to the climate crisis today and how the near-future might
unfold, along one path if we take action or another if we fail to.

This series is sponsored by the Center for Ideas and Society, Speculative
Fictions and Cultures of Science Program, Palm Desert Center, and the Osher
Lifelong Learning Institute at UC Riverside.

Registration required:
https://ucr.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_uVES0QpgSbi-Optz2iVHeQ

More details: https://events.ucr.edu/event/science_fiction_climate_crisis

Sherryl Vint (she/her)
Professor
Director, Speculative Fiction and Cultures of Science
Editor, *Science Fiction Studies*
Editor, *Science and Popular Culture* book series
<https://www.palgrave.com/in/series/15760>