[Seminarcontacts] CMDB/GGB/MCBL Seminar: Dr. Photini Sinnis - Wed., Oct. 21st, 2020

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 16 15:52:09 PDT 2020

CMDB/GGB/MCBL Seminar Program

Fall 2020

Presented during the 10th Annual Southern California Eukaryotic Pathogen Symposium

[Dr. Photini Sinnis, Professor, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health]

Keynote Speaker: Dr. Photini Sinnis

Professor
|Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health|

Seminar Title: “Establishment of Malaria Infection: Parasite Bottleneck and Point for Intervention”
Abstract: Malaria infection is initiated when Plasmodium sporozoites are inoculated by an infected mosquito as it searches for blood. Sporozoites are inoculated into the dermis and must enter the blood circulation to reach the liver where they divide and establish infection in the mammalian host. This is an understudied area of the parasite’s lifecycle yet the target of antibodies generated by the only malaria vaccine candidate to show efficacy in Phase III clinical trials. The goals of our research are to: 1) quantify sporozoite transmission dynamics; 2) understand the molecular interactions between the parasite and its mosquito and mammalian hosts that make this passage possible; 3) elucidate the role(s) of the sporozoite’s major surface protein, CSP, as the parasite transitions from mosquito to mammalian host; 4) translate our findings to drug and vaccine development.

Wednesday, October 21st, 2020

 Time:  12:00 – 12:50 p.m.

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/97872332514?pwd=VHE0MklDc21jekNKdlN6dWF6V3ZBZz09