[pps-news] Notice to Campus on Check Writes

Roberta Nardico Roberta.Nardico at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 29 08:19:37 PDT 2009

October 29, 2009

Dear Campus Community,

As Vice Chancellor Bolar mentioned in her "Grey Friday" memo to the campus, "we are all feeling the impact of the State of California's reduction in support for the University of California.  The magnitude of the fiscal crisis and operation budget reductions means that each Organization must look for efficiencies and new ways to deliver our mission." With reductions in the staff workforce and the impact of the furloughs and temporary layoffs, the Accounting Office must adjust to our reduced resources.  After much consideration, vendor payments and employee reimbursement checks will be prepared and distributed three days a week instead of daily.  This change should not significantly impact our ability to deliver core services to the campus and will allow our staff to provide other essential services while reducing operating costs.

Effective November 2, 2009 the vendor check writes will occur on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.  This is the same schedule currently used for the Student Information System check write.  The monthly payroll check writes will not be impacted. With this change in process, it is extremely important for departments to plan and process payment requests timely to minimize delays and disruption in employee reimbursements, travel advances, and vendor payments.

This is a wonderful opportunity to remind all employees and students that payments processed by direct deposit instead of paper check are more efficient for the individual and the University.  Direct deposits are received faster as payments are posted directly to the individual's bank account. Direct deposit eliminates a trip to the bank for the payee.  There are no "lost checks" with direct deposit.  Direct deposits reduce the volume of incoming mail to the department and eliminate the department's special handling (i.e. securing and distributing) of paper checks required by University policy. Direct Deposits do not require the generation of paper as notification is available electronically. Employees (including student employees) can enroll in direct deposit by logging in to At Your Service: https://atyourserviceonline.ucop.edu/ayso/ <https://atyourserviceonline.ucop.edu/ayso/>  and signing up on-line via the secure Income & Taxes-Direct Deposit menu option.

Please contact Gabe Nwandu (gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu <mailto:gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu> ) or Steve Wilson (steve.wilson at ucr.edu <mailto:steve.wilson at ucr.edu> ) for questions and/or clarification.

Sincerely,

Bobbi McCracken

Associate Vice Chancellor for Financial Services and Controller