[pps-news] DELAY USING THE REVISED I-9 FORM

Roberta Nardico roberta.nardico at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 5 07:54:51 PST 2009

February 5, 2009

To:        PPS Users

From:    Human Resources

Re:       DELAY USING THE REVISED I-9 FORM

On January 30, 2009 Human Resources sent a Scotmail out indicating the
need to use a revised I-9 form effective 2/2/2009 based on information
we had from UCOP and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
However, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced a 60-day
delay in implementing the new Form I-9 for the verification of
employment eligibility for new hires.  The delay is in response to a
January memorandum from President Barack Obama's chief of staff, Rahm
Emanuel. In the memo, Emanuel directed all federal agencies to put a
freeze on certain unimplemented federal regulations, recommending that
the regulations be subject to a 60-day hold for further agency
consideration.

As a result of this new information do not use the form noted in the
January 30, 2009 Scotmail.  Instead use the current form (rev. 06/05/07)
which can be found here <http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-9.pdf> .  In
addition, if you did use the revised form for any new hires on 2/2, 2/3,
2/4 or 2/5, please have the newly hired employee complete the current
form (rev. 06/05/07) for our records.

We will update you as more information is known.

Please forward your questions to Heidie Rhodes @ heidie.rhodes at ucr.edu
or X 2-2463.