[pps-news] Non-Resident Alien Software - Glacier

Gabe Nwandu Gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu
Wed May 28 11:40:41 PDT 2008

May 28, 2008

Dear PPS Users,

The Payroll Office at the University of California, Riverside recently
purchased Glacier software in conjunction with our sister UC campuses to
assist us determine the tax status of Non-Citizens (other than Permanent
Residents) who will receive wages, scholarship/fellowship and/or
honoraria.  The Internal Revenue Service regulations regarding the
taxation and reporting of payments made to Non-Resident Aliens are very
complex and we need this software to streamline the process.

What Is GLACIER?

GLACIER is an online tax compliance system designed by Arctic
International LLC to allow institutions like ours efficiently and
effectively collect information, make tax residency and income tax
treaty determinations, manage paperwork, maintain data, and file
reporting statements with the IRS.  GLACIER is a web-based system that
incorporates the latest, cutting-edge methods for security, data
transfer, and user-interface.  As an online system, GLACIER provides
more flexibility than a traditional desk-top application or a pc-based
system.  Additional information about Glacier is available at: GLACIER
Brochure. <http://www.arcticintl.com/forms/GLACIERbrochure.pdf>

Note:  The Glacier software process is not applicable to Citizens or
Permanent Residents.

We recently sent the message below via e-mail to the target group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The UC Riverside recently partnered with Arctic International LLC to
provide Glacier Online Tax Compliance System to Non-Citizens (other than
Permanent Residents).

You will be receiving an e-mail from support at online-tax.net asking you
to login to a website to complete the necessary forms via the internet
that will assist UCR to determine how we will tax you for payroll,
scholarship and fellowships.

Please do not delete this e-mail when you receive it.  If you have any
questions, please e-mail us at elena.mateos at ucr.edu
<mailto:elena.mateos at ucr.edu> .

For additional information about Glacier software, please click on this
link: http://www.accounting.ucr.edu/glacierinfosheet.htm.

Thank you