[pps-news] Notes from PPS User's Group Meeting 2/13/08

Roberta Nardico roberta.nardico at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 21 16:43:09 PST 2008

February 21, 2008

Here are the meeting notes from the PPS User's Group Meeting on
Wednesday, February 13, 2008 @ HMNSS 1500 from 8:30 to 10:00 am.

I.                   I-9 Compliance

Discussion took place indicating that all I-9's need to be completed and
dated on the first day of hire or before.   Complications with this
process were brought up by several departments dealing primarily with
Academic personnel and the problems with contracts being finalized after
the hire date.  A meeting to discuss these issues and UCR policies is
being set up at this time.  When more information is available, we will
post something on PPS News.

Discussion also took place regarding Volunteers and completing the I-9
form.   Gabe indicated that Volunteers should complete the I-9 form if
they are going to be set up on PPS.    If the Volunteer is not set up on
PPS, and only fills out the Volunteer Forms, they are not required to
complete the I-9 form.

II.                Employee Files-Inter-Departmental Transfer

Some departments brought up issues involved in managing employee files
especially when the employee works in several different departments;
this if especially true of student employees.   Gabe stressed the need
for only one employee file which should be kept in the Home Department.
If you do not know which department is the Home Department, the central
payroll office can assist you.

Gabe also suggested that employee files be physically taken to the Home
Department.   It is not suggested that they be inter-campus mailed.

III.             Dual Employment Coding

Several departments have had questions concerning payment to employees
for services outside their normal title code.  It was suggested that
when payment is processed through PPS, that the department contact Human
Resources, Cynthia Seneriz, Heidie Rhodes or Sylvia Vasquez for the
correct Title Code and DOS code.

IV.              Employee Relations Coding

The employee relations code for TA's and GSR's was brought up for
discussion.  If the employee is a GSR, the employee relations code under
the "EPER" screen in PPS should be "I", student in academic title not
covered by HEERA.  If the employee is a TA or anyone in the BX unit, the
code should be "H", student in academic title covered by HEERA.

If the employee is both a TA and GSR, their employee relations code
should be the code associated with the primary title code which shows on
the "EPER" screen.