[pps-news] Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) Revision

Gabe Nwandu Gabe.nwandu at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 21 16:41:39 PST 2007

November 21, 2007

To:        All Departments

Fr:        Human Resources

Re:       Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9) Revision

------------------

There has been a recent change regarding the documents that an employer
may accept from a newly hired employee to document that the new employee
is authorized to work in the United States.  The change is effective
November 7, 2007; the documents that have been removed from and added to
the list of acceptable documents are listed below.

In 1997 the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service published an
interim final rule in the Federal Register eliminating a number of
documents that an employer may accept from a newly hired employee during
the employment eligibility verification process.

In 2007 the US Citizenship and Immigrations Services issued a revised
Form I-9 to bring the form into compliance with the 1997 document
reduction goals.

*                                 The following documents have been
removed from the List of Acceptable Documents:

*       Certificate of U.S. Citizenship (USCIS Form N-560 or N-561)

*       Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS Form N-550 or N-570)

*       Alien Registration Receipt Card (USCIS Form I-151)

*       Unexpired Refugee Travel Document (USCIS Form I-571)

*                                 The following document has been added
to the List of Acceptable Documents:

*       Unexpired Employment Authorization Document (USCIS Form I-766)

As of November 7, 2007, the new Form I-9 with a revision date of June 5,
2007 is the only version of the form that is valid for use (Employment
Eligibility Verification Form <http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf>
[PDF]).

*                                 Employers only need to complete the
new version of Form I-9 (Rev. 06/05/07) for new employees. Employers do
not need to complete the new forms for existing employees. However,
employers must use the Form I-9 (Rev. 06/05/07) when their employees
require re-verification.

UC's At Your Service "Employment Eligibility Verification Form" website
(http://atyourservice.ucop.edu/forms_pubs/forms_worksheets/i9.html) has
been updated and lists the recent changes made to the I-9 Form.  A link
to a USCIS Fact Sheet with additional information on the changes is also
provided on the website.

If you have any questions, please contact Heidie at x-22463 or by e-mail
heidie.rhodes at ucr.edu.