[Physics-grads-open] Resume Internal Student Seminar Series (PASS)

Pooyan Goodarzi pooyan.goodarzi at email.ucr.edu
Thu Apr 25 11:02:24 PDT 2024

Hi Physics and Astronomy students,

In this week's PASS seminar, Ming-Feng will talk about an interesting
intersection of Black Holes and Statistics. Please join us on April 26th (
*Tomorrow*) at *2 PM* in the* Conference Room* (PHYS 3051).

*Ming-Feng Ho, PhD Candidate*
Friday, 2:00 pm, Conference Room (PHYS 3051)
*How Do Black Holes Mix in LIGO's GWTC3 Catalog?*

Abstract: LIGO's population analysis reveals a Gaussian bump substructure
at ~35 M⊙ among their ~ 90 binary black hole events, while the rest of the
black holes are mostly distributed in a power-law distribution from ~
5 M⊙ to ~ 80 M⊙. An interesting question to ask is whether this Gaussian
bump population of black holes is mixed with the power-law distribution, or
if they remain separate due to distinct formation channels. We designed a
Bayesian population model to measure the co-location and separation of the
power-law and Gaussian populations in LIGO's GWTC3 catalog using a mixture
model approach. We found that the posterior suggests that the Gaussian bump
black holes prefer to merge within their cohort, indicating a preference
for the populations to be separate. Mechanisms for producing the Gaussian
bump might also need to consider the separation of this population.

Best,
Pooyan
Physics and Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS)