[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, June 1st

Heather Mcdermott heatherm at exch.ucr.edu
Thu Jun 1 11:24:03 PDT 2023

[cid:18627e3ec714cff311]

Physics & Astronomy Colloquium

Simulating Condensed Matter Physics in Semiconductor Moiré Materials

Dr. Kin Fai Mak

Cornell University

Abstract: The discovery of moiré materials has enabled the studies of condensed matter physics in a simpler and more controllable fashion. To a good approximation, the system can be regarded as a lattice of tunable artificial atoms, bridging the gap between real solid-state materials and cold atom quantum simulators. In this talk, I discuss how semiconductor moiré materials can 'simulate' a rich set of condensed matter phenomena by simply adjusting the gate voltages in a field-effect device structure. In particular, I will highlight the realization of the Hubbard model, Chern bands and the Kondo lattice model.

Thursday, June 1st, 2023

3:40 PM in Winston Chung Hall (Room 138)

Coffee will be served at 3:10 PM in the Barkas Lounge (3049 Physics)

Heather McDermott
Travel & Event Coordinator
Physics & Astronomy Dept.
University of California Riverside