[Physics-grads-open] Yueying Ni Visit (7/17 - 7/21)

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:11:00 PDT 2023

Hello Astronomy grads, astro-particle grads, postdocs, or anyone interested
in deep learning,

Yueying Ni, a postdoctoral fellow from the Harvard–Smithsonian Center for
Astrophysics, will be visiting Riverside from July 17 to July 21. She is an
expert in running large cosmological/galaxy formation simulations, studying
supermassive black holes, and using deep learning to enhance simulation
quality.

Yueying will be giving an Astro seminar talk on Wednesday (Reading Room),
July 19, at 11:00 AM.

We also want to invite you to sign up for dinners/lunches and informal
chats with Yueying. You can find the sign-up form [here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NyCIkyKF40HUJMxCMuRranlFv5WMOI1ef-D4qMhd4zw/edit?usp=sharing>].
Please note that for Wednesday's dinner, we will prioritize students and
faculty members in astrophysics.

Yueying has been collaborating with Simeon since 2019 when she was a PhD
student at Carnegie Mellon University, working under the supervision of
Tiziana Di Matteo. She has been an integral part of Simeon's group and has
a wide range of interests, including supermassive black holes (AGN feedback
models, SMBH dynamics, high-z quasars), alternative dark matter
(astrophysical probes for Fuzzy dark matter [2210.12907
<https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.12907>]), and deep learning (super-resolution
GAN [2105.01016 <https://arxiv.org/abs/2105.01016>], diffusion models).

Additionally, Yueying is the main contributor to the CAMELS-Astrid suite [
2304.02096 <https://arxiv.org/abs/2304.02096>]. CAMELS
<https://www.camel-simulations.org/> is the largest cosmological simulation
campaign for machine learning purposes, funded by the Simon Foundation.

To learn more about Yueying and her work, please visit her website at:
https://yueyingn.github.io.

Also, she started her postdoc in 2022, meaning she has a fresh and
successful experience in the academia job market. I think it would be great
to learn from her experience if you're planning to apply for postdocs very
soon!

Thank you!

Ming-Feng

---