[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), Chris, 2/22 (Wed) at 4 pm: "Modeling Reionization from Small to Large Scales"

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Tue Feb 21 09:00:00 PST 2023

Hi Physics and Astronomy Grads,

We will have our PASS talk *this Wednesday (2/22) at 4 pm*.

*Chris Cain (5th year; PI: Anson D'Aloisio)* will tell us about how to
constrain the epoch of reionization using his efficient radiative
transfer code with a novel sub-grid physics model. If you are interested in
hydrogen and 21-cm signals, please come and join us! :)

*Title: Modeling Reionization from Small to Large Scales*
Chris Cain (University of California, Riverside)

*Abstract:* The Epoch of Reionization (EoR) saw the Intergalactic Medium
(IGM) transition from being neutral to highly ionized. This process took
place during the first billion years after the Big Bang and was driven by
the first generation of HI-ionizing sources, likely the first galaxies.
Reionization is a complicated process involving a wide range of physical
scales. The shapes and sizes of ionized regions during the EoR are driven
by the clustering of galaxies on 100-Mpc scales, while the opacity of the
intervening IGM is affected by kpc-scale density fluctuations and the
processes regulating the escape of ionizing photons from galaxies take
place on even smaller scales. Thus reionization is a challenging problem to
solve from a theoretical perspective. I will discuss a radiative transfer
code that I developed that is optimized to solve reionization efficiently
without sacrificing accuracy. My code uses a novel sub-grid prescription
for the opacity of the ionized IGM that is built on high-resolution
simulations that resolve the clumping and dynamics of intergalactic gas
down to kpc scales. I will also discuss our recent results using this code
to better understand reionization observables, including the Lya forest,
the ionizing photon mean free path, and the 21 cm signal from HI during the
EoR.

*Wednesday, 2/22, 2023, at 4 pmPhysics 3027 (Nebula Room)*

In case you couldn't come, the meeting will be hybrid:

https://ucr.zoom.us/j/92989373544?pwd=VlUybFJ5VS91Y2c2QjFMY2dtTitpdz09
 ID:929 8937 3544
Password:21106

Current speakers for Winter 2022 are in the spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xR325pj7zc9jlHSRb7UKDPtRwLuL3hKGxTIeBxi38wo/edit?usp=sharing>
.
Next we have ...
    3/1: Robert Dawson
    3/8: Archana Aravindan
    3/15: Wenjun Chang
... please stay tuned!

About PASS:
---
PASS is a weekly research seminar organized by and for grad students in UCR
Physics and Astronomy department. The primary purpose of this seminar is to
create a safe place for grad students to present their research works and
practice how to ask/answer good questions.

Look forward to seeing you all on Wednesday and discussing IGM!

Ming-Feng

---
Ming-Feng Ho
PhD Student