[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), June 29 (Wed) at 4 pm, Phys 3027

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:24:00 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Mahdi (4th year PhD student in Simeon Bird's group) will give a talk on Lya
tomography this Wednesday. This is a project done jointly with
Carnegie-Observatory in Pasadena through a UCR fellowship. Please come and
ask questions if you're interested!

In the subsequent weeks, we will have Reza Monadi (Bird's group), and Liz
Finney (John Barton's group) give talks.

Please check our program here: [Program
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/program/index.html>]

*Title: Applications of 3D Ly-α tomography*

Mahdi Qezlou (University of California, Riverside)

*Abstract: *Ly-α tomography surveys have begun to produce three-dimensional
(3D) maps of the intergalactic medium (IGM) opacity at z∼2.5 with Mpc
resolution. These surveys provide an exciting new window to discover and
characterize high-redshift overdensities, including the progenitors of
today's massive groups and clusters of galaxies, known as protogroups and
protoclusters. In this talk, I will introduce our novel method for
delineating the boundaries of structures detected in 3D Ly-α flux maps by
applying classical image segmentation techniques. Moreover, I will argue
how the Ly-α tomography is complementary to the conventional galaxy surveys
by discussing an interesting population of observed protoclusters, in
Lyman-α Tomographic IMACS Survey (LATIS), which contain surprisingly fewer
UV-bright galaxies compared with the dark matter halos in mock-observed
simulations. Finally, I will discuss other potential applications of these
tomography surveys, such as the synergies with line intensity map (LIM)
experiments.

Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 4 pm
Physics 3027 (Nebula Room)

To submit abstracts for Summer Quarter: [Abstract Submission
<https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/registration/index.html>].

PS, Mahdi will be the host for the PASS talks after 7/6 because I will be
out of town.

Hope to see you there!
Ming-Feng Ho