[Physics-grads-open] Happening now! Meeting with Colloquium speaker

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:16:37 PST 2022

Happening now in Physics 3027!!

Meeting with the Speaker!

Best,
Ming-Feng Ho

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Vivek Aji <vivekj at ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, Feb 15, 2022 at 11:27 AM
Subject: [Physics-grads-announce] Meeting with Colloquium speaker on
Thursday Feb 17th
To: <physics-grads-announce at lists.ucr.edu>
Cc: Peng Wei <peng.wei at ucr.edu>

Dear Graduate students,

The colloquium speaker this week is Dr. Jairo Velasco Jr. Jairo received
his PhD from UCR in 2012. Dr. Peng Wei, the colloquium organizer, has
reserved Physics room 3027 from 1-2:30 pm for meeting with graduate
students. Please stop by if you would like to chat with him.

Vivek Aji
Professor & Graduate Advisor
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of California Riverside
Riverside CA 92521

*Physics & Astronomy Colloquium*

Imaging Atomically Thin Quantum Material Devices at the Nanoscale

*Dr.** Jairo Velasco Jr.*
UC Santa Cruz
*Abstract: *The harnessing and manipulation of electronic states in quantum
materials has the potential to revolutionize computation, sensing, storage,
and communications, thus impacting multiple facets of our everyday lives.
In this talk I will discuss my group’s recent experiments with Bernal
stacked bilayer graphene (BLG) and trilayer graphene (TLG), highly
versatile carbon-based quantum materials with electronic properties that
are promising for quantum information processing. Specifically, I will
focus on two sets of experiments that utilize confinement, nanoscale
visualization, and spectroscopy to reveal new properties of the surface
states hosted by BLG and TLG electronic devices. In one experiment, we use
the scanning tunneling microscope to corral electrons in BLG and then
visualize the wavefunctions and quantum interference of the confined
electrons. In a second experiment, we use atomically resolved point
spectroscopy to measure a giant and tunable magnetic moment for the
electrons in TLG devices. The results from these experiments advance
fundamental understanding of carbon-based quantum material devices towards
their use for quantum information processing.

*Biography: *Jairo Velasco Jr. is an Associate Professor of Physics at the
University of California Santa Cruz. His research interests include the
study of electronic properties and structure of 2D materials. He received
his PhD in physics from the University of California Riverside in 2012. He
was then a University of California President’s Postdoctoral Fellow in the
Department of Physics at the University of California Berkeley from
2012-2015. Dr. Velasco is also a recipient of the NSF early CAREER award.