[Physics-grads-open] SRU Bargaining, April 26 Statewide Actions

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Tue Apr 19 09:00:00 PDT 2022

Hi Physic and Astronomy colleagues,

As you may know, SRU (union for GSRs, Trainees, and Fellows) has started
bargaining with the UC for a better workplace. However, UC's wage proposal
is only a 4% across the board increase followed by raises in each
subsequent year of the contract by 3% (ignoring the inflation and rent
increase in California). And the wage increase only applies to GSRs,
excluding Fellows or Trainees [UC's full proposal
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-MMZldyxZyBTZ8_i_oSEoh3UUsDyXCxk/view>].

To really make changes, we are demanding the UC bargain with academic
workers (ASEs, AS, Postdocs, and SRs) on the same table over the shared
issues. In this way, we can avoid wasting public resources on negotiating
the same issues at different tables. Moreover, we can combine the power of
48,000 workers, i.e., if we need to go on strike to bargain on some
contracts, all academic workers can go on strike simultaneously.

Sign the United for a Fair Workplace letter
<https://www.fairucnow.org/take-action/>,
and attend the April 26 Statewide Actions
<https://www.fairucnow.org/april26/>.

The next SRU bargaining session is on 4/22. You can RSVP here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc-KNQcc6yQpbXemZ7v6An5J-5NfMshnrrNa0BcVua1WswtTw/viewform>
(bargaining
is open for every SRs). The status of negotiation could be tracked here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TWjLH5KhLIZPeBEW3km8sL6TZY0-wec-n_SuHHF5PYw/edit#gid=0>
.

Best,
Ming-Feng