[Physics-grads-open] SRU Day of Action (Tomorrow 8/25, 11:00 am) at Clock Tower, Supporting Students on Fellowships

Tim Gburek jr.gburek at email.ucr.edu
Tue Aug 24 15:34:36 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

In case you have not received this yet, I am sending the message below on
behalf of Ming-Feng and the Student Researchers Union.

Best,

Tim Gburek
PhD Candidate in Astronomy
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA, 92521 USA

Hi grad-student physicists and astronomers,

As you may have heard, California’s Public Employment Relations Board
(PERB) has verified our majority on forming a union for all student
researchers, including Graduate Student Researchers, Trainees, and Fellows,
across 10 UC campuses. This is a big accomplishment!

But, UC is stalling for time and hasn’t agreed to start bargaining — and,
even worse, *they’re gearing up to claim that the 1500+ SRs on training
grants and fellowships don’t share a “community of interest” with GSRs, and
shouldn’t be in our union (see here
<https://studentresearchersunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/UC_Letter_to_PERB_71421.pdf>)*
.

A supermajority of Student Researchers on training grants and fellowships
signed cards saying they wanted to form a union — UC should respect their
democratic choice. That’s why Student Researchers across the state are
holding *a coordinated statewide Day of Action* *on Wednesday, August 25th*,
*calling on UC to recognize the union rights of ALL Student Researchers and
begin bargaining with SRU as soon as possible*.

At Riverside, *we will be meeting at the Bell Tower at 11:00 am to have a
rally to walk to the Chancellor's office.* *RSVP here*
<https://forms.gle/BGSJQsi9i3PuKmvt5> to support your co-workers on
fellowships and training grants!

PS, if you haven't checked out our video on submitting over 10,000
authorization cards to PERB, you can watch the video here
<https://vimeo.com/555860792>.

In solidarity,
Ming-Feng Ho
Graduate Student Researcher