[Physics-grads-announce] GRAD ADVISOR: A message from the the mentoring committee

Vivek Aji vivekj at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 4 09:29:44 PST 2022

Dear Grad Students,

Happy New Year!  I hope everyone was able to have a safe and relaxing
break.

I am happy to announce that we will be offering  a series of Graduate
Mentoring Workshops covering the topics that you voted for on our kick-off
meeting.   The workshops will be held on the *second Thursday of each month
at 2:00 PM*; see the complete list of dates and workshop topics at the end
of this email.   The list includes the name of the faculty who will be
organizing each topic - please feel free to reach out to them if you have
specific suggestions or requests.   We hope that these workshops will
provide you with some useful tools and give you an opportunity to interact
with others in the department.

The workshops will normally (hopefully) be held in person in the Physics
Reading Room, and refreshments will be served.   However, *the first
workshop will be help over zoom* since the campus will be operating
remotely for the first couple of weeks.  The topic for the first workshop
will be *“How to Navigate the Academic Job Market”,* organized by Prof.
John Barton.  Since many of the current students are about to start
interviewing for postdoc positions, we will include a discussion on tips
and best practices for interviewing.   Please note that we will try to
include material that is relevant to everyone, not just to senior students.

Please join us on Thursday, January 13 @ 2:00 PM on zoom:
 https://ucr.zoom.us/j/96554327362?pwd=ODN0YTVvWjI2eFdkRmhCcXRna05Cdz09

Hope to see everyone there!
Gaby

*Graduate Mentoring Workshop Schedule*
Thursdays at 2:00PM @ Physics Reading Room

*January 13:*  How to navigate the academic job market – John Barton
*(online)*
*February 10*: Career Planning - George Becker
*March 10:* Cultivating a network of mentors and collaborators/Networking
for introverts – John Ellison
*April 14:* Developing a writing process that works for you – Shan-Wen Tsai
*May 12:* How to develop an outreach program/write a diversity statement -
Gaby Canalizo
*Date TBD:* International students VISA, OPT etc. - Peng Wei