[Physics-grads-announce] Fwd: [ceers] Webb Launch Confirmed for Dec. 24 - Zoom watch "party"

Vivek Aji vivekj at ucr.edu
Tue Dec 21 12:39:25 PST 2021

Dear Graduate Students,

Please see the attached email from Bahram regarding the upcoming James Webb
Space Telescope.

Vivek Aji
Professor & Graduate Advisor
Department of Physics & Astronomy
University of California Riveriside

--------------------------------------

Dear all
The launch of the James Webb Space Telescope will take place on Dec 24th.
This is the result of over 20 years work by our colleagues with a cost of
over 8 Billion Dollars.
The telescope will be located in the Lagrangian 2 orbit around 1.5 million
Km from the Earth. With a size of 6.5m diameter, it will be the largest and
the most powerful telescope
placed in space. This will be a transformational event in astronomy and we
are so lucky to see this happening during our life. We all hope for a
successful launch and exciting observations
that will follow after all the instrument calibrations are completed.
Best regards
Bahram

Begin forwarded message: