[Orgvpdue] Moving forward with UE's data work

Louie F Rodriguez louie.rodriguez at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 11 10:12:54 PDT 2024

Dear UE Colleagues,

If you recall, I circulated a survey to all of UE about data collection practices, systems currently in use (i.e., excel or otherwise), and staff satisfaction with such approaches.  The responses I received were informative.  Now, we are ready to press the accelerator on step 2.

I’m working with Michelle Hardwick who is relatively new to UCR as the Chief Data Officer.  She is working on a series of projects that is exciting to UE and come directly from my exchanges with Michelle over the last couple of months.  Essentially, Michelle and her team are building a data warehouse that will include our ability to tell a more holistic story of UCR student success.

Michelle is now asking me to provide her with some names of staff members who have been collecting data so she can assess how that data can be incorporated into a system that can help capture the UCR student success story.  For example, and hopefully, we will answer the following types of questions:
·         Who is most likely to participate in the research symposium and are those students the same students who benefit from SI, or peer mentoring, or Honors, or participate in UCDC?
·         Among the students who take advantage of ARC tutoring, were they also likely to interact with HPAC and peer mentoring and when?
·         Do students in Basic Writing courses benefit from peer mentoring and if so, at what point in their pathway is the best time to access a peer mentor?
·         How many high impact practices do successful students participate in per year?  Does this number increase as students get closer to graduation?

These are just a few questions that we will be able to ask and hopefully answer through a newly created data warehouse that Michelle’s team will be creating. To my knowledge, this is the first system of its kind, particularly a systematic approach to capturing student participation in high impact practices at UCR.

If you responded to the survey in the fall, Michelle’s team may be reaching out to you to collect information and help build this data warehouse.  If someone from Michelle’s team contacts you, feel free to copy your supervisor in your correspondence with Michelle’s team to keep them in the loop.  Thank you in advance for your support.

-Louie

Louie F. Rodriguez
Vice Provost and Dean
Division of Undergraduate Education