[Orgvpdue] UE communication re: remote work policy

Louie F Rodriguez louie.rodriguez at ucr.edu
Wed Aug 23 12:52:08 PDT 2023

Dear UE Colleagues,

As you are aware, we proposed a UE remote work policy on Monday, August 14, 2023. After sharing the new remote work agreement with all of you, the UE Senior leadership team and I have received a significant amount of feedback from many of you. That said, I wanted you to know that you have been heard, I am listening, and I am learning through this process.

One critical function of leadership is to recognize where we are as an organization. After receiving your feedback and taking the past few days to reflect, I believe that what is best for our unit is to withdraw the proposed remote work agreement for now.

Another leadership insight is that challenging situations can sometimes lead to windows of opportunity. Thus, after receiving and hearing your feedback, I would like to share with you a couple of opportunities that I see on the horizon. First, our commitment to our core goals will not waver— we will continue to relentlessly pursue ways to boost graduation rates, reduce equity gaps, increase belonging, raise students’ engagement with high impact practices, and promote student satisfaction as a unit.

Secondly, if a more on-campus presence approach in working to achieve our goals and mission is not the way forward at the moment, I will be seeking your input on how to create more engagement opportunities with you as staff, more innovation across all the areas within UE, and more elevated opportunities to collaborate with our campus partners to reach our collective goals (I also plan on taking these ideas to the campus leadership retreat I will be attending in October with the Provost and others).

Lastly, we are all ultimately here to serve students and I know every one of you in UE shares this commitment. Therefore, I will be looking to you to help me understand the bold goal setting efforts and data-informed results in your specific areas for the purposes of meeting our unit and campus goals, and to help tell UE’s story and the story of UCR student success.

I want to thank every one of you for your feedback and thank the UE Senior Leaders for sharing the feedback you contributed.

I look forward to our collective work together.

Sincerely,

Louie F. Rodriguez
Vice Provost and Dean
Division of Undergraduate Education