[Office-of-research] A New Resource for Managing Federal Grants

Bruce Morgan bruce.morgan at ucr.edu
Tue May 13 15:58:26 PDT 2008

The effective management of sponsored programs has never been more important
or challenging than in today's climate of transparency and accountability.
The challenges we face now are technological, administrative and regulatory
in nature, and the pace of change from Washington is accelerating at a
dizzying rate.  UCR's research administrators are regularly impacted by
these changes through new regulations and policies, new interpretations of
existing policies, changes to regulations and circulars, mandatory education
programs, and the government's push to streamline the electronic grant
process.

As we diligently work to ensure that our campus meets its regulatory
obligations as a recipient of federal funds, it is essential that UCR's
research administrators be armed with the most up-to-date information
possible.  Toward that end, I am pleased to announce that the Office of
Research has arranged for a campus-wide subscription to "A Guide to Managing
Federal Grants for Colleges and Universities".  This Guide , and its
newsletter companion, "Federal Grants Management News" are co-sponsored by
the National Association of College and University Business Officers and the
National Council of University Research Administrators, are essential tools
for UCR's research administrators.

Access to the Guide and the Newsletter is provided through the Sponsored
Programs homepage on the Office of Research website at
http://or.ucr.edu/SP/index.aspx.  It is also available in the C&G User Group
section of the Sponsored Programs homepage (the link is located on the left
sidebar - http://or.ucr.edu/SP/UsersGroup/default.aspx).  Complete
instructions for accessing the Guide are provided on these web pages.
Please note that the username and the password for the Managing Federal
Grants website must not be shared with individuals who are not UCR
employees.  This means that they cannot be shared with employees from other
UC campuses or locations.  Sharing of the username and password will void
the campus' copyright license and result in the cancellation of our
subscription.  The definition of UCR employees includes those individuals
who have approved "without salary" appointments.

As the campus' primary subscriber, I receive periodic notifications from the
Guide and the Newsletter regarding changes and updates.  I will use this
listserv to disseminate these notices to the campus.  Please note that the
Guide recently posted the May issue of its Newsletter, and has updated
certain sections in the Guide.  These updates cover electronic grant
applications, updated information on grants streamlining, a new discussion
of "Research Terms and Conditions" and new coverage of U.S. Department of
Education Conflict of Interest Reporting.

Please take some time to review this valuable resource and share it with
other UCR employees in your unit who are engaged in the administration of
sponsored programs and research.

Bruce Morgan

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research