[Office-of-research] Additional guidance regarding proposals@ucr.edu

Bruce Morgan bruce.morgan at ucr.edu
Thu Aug 17 11:52:19 PDT 2006

Earlier this week, a department sending a proposal to the Office of Research
(OR) via proposals at ucr.edu received a bounce-back message indicating that
the e-mail containing their proposal exceed the maximum message size (i.e.,
maximum message size).

Proposals at ucr.edu is a message router that routes three copies of each
message sent to that address.  A copy goes to each of the Team Leaders in
the OR and the third copy goes to an e-mail archive in the OR.  The
bounce-back message noted above was generated by the OR's e-mail archive.
It is important to note that while the e-mail archive did not initially
accept the e-mail, the e-mail was delivered to and received by the Team
Leaders.  After some adjustments, the e-mail archive received the e-mail
containing the department's proposal.

To avoid this situation in the future, we have increased the file size of
the OR e-mail archive to 10 MB.  We believe that this should accommodate a
significant majority of proposals.  We recognize that there will be some
proposals that will exceed the 10MB size.  For proposals being submitted via
proposals at ucr.edu that exceed 10MB, please:

1.	Contact the Team Leader assigned to your department to alert them
that you will be submitting a proposal via proposals at ucr.edu in multiple
parts.

2.	Please submit the proposal in the least number of parts possible.
For example, if the proposal and all campus forms total 25MB, please submit
the proposal in three (3) parts.  The key is to keep in mind that no single
part should exceed 10MB.

3.	Please clearly label each part of the proposal with the PI's name,
short proposal title and the part number in the subject line.  Please use a
format similar to the following example:  Dr. Smith, Smart STAR project, 1
of 3

4.	Please follow the file attachment name methodology discussed on the
Obtaining <http://or.ucr.edu/SP/Lifecycle/Prepare/Endorsement.aspx#How>
Institutional Review and Endorsement page of the OR Website.

Please direct any questions regarding this guidance to the Team Leader
assigned to your unit, or to me at bruce.morgan at ucr.edu or (951) 827-5535.

Bruce Morgan

Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research

Office of Research