[Health Prof Adv Center] Pre-health students: Paid research assistant position--

Health Professions Advising Center med-health-careers at lists.ucr.edu
Tue Nov 1 12:59:57 PDT 2011

[cid:image001.png at 01CC9896.28EC6880]Be part of a multi-disciplinary research center and obtain experience in your field!

HEALTHY SMILES: AN ORTHODONTIST PROGRAM

ANNOUNCEMENT FOR PAID RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITIONS (OR WORK FOR SCHOOL CREDIT)

HEALTHY SMILES: AN ORTHODONTIST PROGRAM is a research study conducted by the Center for Behavioral Epidemiology and Community Health at the San Diego State University Graduate School of Public Health.

This study will implement and test a two-arm intervention among preteens at orthodontic offices throughout San Diego, Orange and Riverside Counties. Offices will be randomized either 1) to increase physical activity, reduce sedentary practices and promote healthy diets or 2) to reduce tobacco initiation and exposure. We have been working in the San Diego area for the past couple of years and are now expanding to Riverside County.

We are looking for responsible Research Assistants (RAs), able to work independently and/or in groups of two, to meet with families to explain the research study, answer any questions families might have about the study and enroll them in the study if they are interested in participating. RAs will also collect paper and pencil surveys and take the height and weight of enrolled participants. All trainings and appointments will occur in Riverside County.

Benefits of joining our research team include:

*       Your choice between earning pay (between $10-$13 an hour, depending on experience and language skills) or working for school credit (~3 hours per week per unit earned)

*       Gain experience in research and in the field of public health

*       Learn research design and methodology

*       Develop relationships with Health Promotion and Exercise Science professors and peers

*       Flexible schedule - hours will range between 5-20 hours per week depending on appointments made

For more information, please contact:

Nadia Salas

9245 Sky Park Court, Suite 230

San Diego, California, 92123