[IIGB_All] IIGB : 2022 and 2023

Katayoon Dehesh katayoon.dehesh at ucr.edu
Mon Jan 2 16:45:09 PST 2023

With warm greetings for a powerful 2023, I would like to provide you with a summary of IIGB's most notable activities in 2022, and a brief summary of the current plans for the 2023.

In 2022, with input from some of you, IIGB managed to attract and hire competent, engaged and knowledgeable colleagues who are now in charge of the metabolomics, proteomics and genomic cores. I strongly believe that with the new teams we are in a strong position to further our research activities and teaching missions.
In 2022 under the leadership of Xuemei Chan, and in collaboration with Seán O'Leary and Weifeng Gu, the sequencing facility obtained several much-needed instrumentations.  In addition, the Lottery funds from CNAS, funds from IIGB and funds form the genomic core enabled the purchase of additional equipment listed below.
NextSeq 2000 sequencing
Short reads (NGS) sequencer
Lottery funding
TapeStation 4150
DNA/RNA quality control
Seán O'Leary, NIH
SpectraMax iD5 Microplate
Microplate Reader
Xuemei Chan, NIH
Amersham Typhoon RGB
Gel Image analysis
Weifeng Gu, NIH
ME220 ultrasonicator
DNA shearing/Cell lysis
IIGB funds
Thermal Cycler
PCR
Genomics Core
MinION
Long reads sequencer
Genomics Core
Flongle
Long reads adapter
Genomics Core

Hopefully, these additions will empower UCR research activities.

In 2023, our current plans are as follows:

  1.  To replace the auditorium's current AV with an advanced system to meet the in person and the online seminar and teaching requirements.  CNAS has generously agreed to cover the substantial costs associated with the replacement, currently scheduled for summer 2023.
  2.  We will be replacing the semi functional autoclaves, one or two per year depending on the IIGB budgetary constraints, starting this year.
  3.  I together with the Dr. Amancio De Souza and Quanqing Zhang will be applying for an NSF/MRI grant for the purchase of Ascend (dual-purpose Mass Spec for Metabolomics and Proteomics of a single cell).  I like to thank my colleagues who have provided a support letter for this application.
  4.  We were successful in attracting one of the top biochemist/metabolomics researchers, Adam Jozwiak currently at the Weizmann institute, to UCR.  Adam will be joining us in July 2023, and I am certain that his knowledge and analytical mind will be an asset for our campus.
  5.  In 2023 we will be recruiting a new admin to replace Frank Figueroa who has accepted a position in finance in CNAS.
  6.  There are other irons in fire, and I will inform you with details, as soon as I have a better framework going forward.

I wish you all much power in 2023 and beyond.
  Katie

Katayoon (Katie) Dehesh
Director, Institute for Integrative Genome Biology, Distinguished Professor
Ernst and Helen Leibacher Endowed Chair in Botany and Plant Sciences
University of California, Riverside, CA 92521
Phone: (951) 827-6370;  Fax: (951) 827-5155