[GSAUCR] Graduate Students: PLEASE READ!!!!

President Gsaucr president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 09:38:19 PST 2012

*What is “GSA”?*

*

GSA stands for “Graduate Student Association.”  We represent the *entire* body
of graduate students at UC Riverside, and our mission is “to advance,
through our advocacy and programs, the academic, social, and physical
environment of current and future graduate students at the University of
California, Riverside” (GSAUCR Constitution).

*How do we work to improve the lives of graduate students?*

*
*

In *lots *of ways!  Here are just a few things we do:

   - *The President* Represents all graduate students to various campus
   leaders, oversees the overall operation of the GSA office, works with
   presidents (undergrad & grad) from all other UC schools on systemwide
   concerns, and chairs the Graduate Student Council.

   - *Th**e Executive Vice President* acts as the liaison between UCR and
   the other UCs, and keeps grad students up-to-date on pertinent state and
   federal issues that affect them and works to get students invested on
   issues outside of Riverside.

   - *The Vice President of Academic Affairs*  works with departmental
   mini-GSA organizations to make sure that the needs and concerns of our
   entire graduate community
   are addressed;**

   - The *Public Relations Officer* throws a Grad Bash for all grad
   students once a quarter providing an opportunity for you to informally meet
   other UCR graduate students, and makes sure you get fed for free simply by
   attending any meetings and events hosted by the GSA;**

   - The *Health Insurance Committee Chairperson* works in collaboration
   with the Student Insurance Coordinator at the Campus Health Center and with
   the UCSHIP Committee, comprised of current graduate students and advocates
   on our behalves to ensure that we are fairly represented in matters
   pertaining to our health insurance;

   - *The Finance Officer* makes sure that our budget is being maintained,
   wisely spent, and adequately supports our organization’s needs;

   - The *Secretary/Webmaster* records the minutes for every GSA Council
   Meeting, and keeps our grad students informed of what’s currently happening
   in the GSA through our website (gsa.ucr.edu);

   - The *Conference Travel Grant Coordinator* processes your applications
   for conference travel grants, thus making it financially easier for you to
   pursue your academic goals;

and

   - The *International Student Affairs Officer* ensures that the rights of
   our international grad students are protected.

*Why are we telling you this?*

*
*

We want to see you get involved!  We frequently have paid positions open
that give you not only some supplemental cash, but also, and more
importantly, the opportunity to help grad students be fairly represented,
receive the financial aid needed to go to conferences, and help build a
stronger and more cohesive graduate community.

*How can you become more involved*?

Become an officer of the Graduate Student Association! Run for an elected
position during our (Feb 27th) elections.  All you have to do is submit a
candidate statement of 4 sentences stating why you think you’d be a good
candidate!

You don’t want to run for a position?  Please express your opinion by
voting during our general election in spring!

Once a month we hold our Graduate Student Association Council meeting, open
to *all *graduate students.  Feel free to stop by and check out what we do
– we promise it’s important stuff!

*What positions can I run for?*

Annual General Officer Elections are held in Spring Quarter for the purpose
of electing:

1. President

2. Executive Vice President (External)

3. Vice President of Academic Affairs

4. Public Relations Officer

5. Finance Officer

6.  Health Insurance Chair

The election shall be conducted via secure online procedures provided by
the University.

Filing is to last at least 5 weeks and close at least 2 weeks prior to
start of the election.

Thank you for reading this entire email,

Rachel
--
President  Graduate Student Association 2011-2012
PhD Candidate GSOE