[GSAUCR] Advocacy Write In

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 17:59:15 PST 2011

Dear Fellow UC Riverside Graduate Students:

On January 10, 2011 Governor Jerry Brown unveiled his proposed state
budget for the 2011-12 fiscal year. It contains dramatic cuts in state
funding to the University of California that may result in as much as
a $500 million budget reduction. Cuts of this magnitude are
significant and will affect all aspects of our organization.  We must
continually make the case that the university is and has always been a
critical component of the economic development of our state and the
welfare of all Californians.

We invite you to join us for a "Write-In," where you will have the
opportunity to write your testimony of how the budget cuts threaten
the quality of your UC Riverside education.  Sponsored by the Office
of Government and Community Relations in collaboration with
departments campus-wide, the write-in will take place on Feb 22 from
4-6PM in HUB 265.  The hosts will provide all the pens, paper, talking
points, and addresses necessary for you to write to your Assemblyman,
Senator and Governor Jerry Brown.  The letters will then be collected
and hand delivered to the offices the following week at UC Day in
Sacramento.

Attached is a poster and flyer for this event.  We would greatly
appreciate it if you could print a copy of the poster and display it
in your lab, office and/or distribute the attached flyer at any
graduate student functions this week.

It is now time for us all to come together and focus our energies on
the restoration of state funding for higher education.  Across the UC
system, faculty, staff and administrators are working diligently on
many fronts to accomplish this.  Your Graduate Student Association
will continue our advocacy efforts on behalf of UC and UC Riverside
throughout the year, but our message will be much stronger with the
support of our graduate student community. If we are to preserve the
excellence of our university and access to UC for all qualified
students, we must share our story with our local legislators and
representatives in Sacramento.  Otherwise, our story will be written
for us.

For more information about this event, please contact: Lars T. Walton,
Assistant Vice Chancellor, Government and Community Relations at
lars.walton at ucr.edu.

Sandy Jones, M.Ed.
Graduate Student, Higher Education Administration and Policy, UC Riverside
Legislative Liaison, GSA