[GSAUCR] 5th Hispanic Studies Graduate Conference Call for papers

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:31:24 PST 2011

Dear UCR graduate students,

Attached you will find a call for papers for the Fifth Annual UCR
Graduate Student Conference entitled “Dialogando con la literatura:
Convergencia mediática y su expresión escrita” to be held on Saturday,
April 16, 2011 at the University of California, Riverside.The
submission deadline for proposals is Monday, January 10, 2011.We will
appreciatte if you circulate this in your department.

This year we are very fortunate to have Mexican novelist Mario
Bellatín as the keynote speaker at our conference. As you may already
know, Mario Bellatín has emerged as one of the leading voices in Latin
American experimental fiction. He is a member of the Sistema Nacional
de Creadores, founder and the director of the Escuela Dinámica de
Escritores, a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation fellow, and
the recipient of the Xavier Villaurrutia 2001 award, and the National
Book Award. Some of his most important works include: Flores (2000),
Shiki Nagaoka: una actriz de ficción (2001), La escuela del dolor
humano de Sechuán (2001), Jacobo el mutante (2002), Perros héroes
(2003), Underwood modelo portátil 1915 (2005), El gran vidrio (2007),
and Biografía ilustrada de Mishima (2009)

As the title of the conference indicates, this year we are looking at
the influence of new developed forms of art, media and technology in
literature in a way that a dialog is created among the arts. Some of
the discourses include, but are not limited to: Music influence in
written structures, plastic arts reshaped into literary aesthetics,
film and other visual media embedded into the written discourse,
E-writing and hypertext novel, mediatic and transmedia productions.

The conference organizing committee welcomes papers from all
theoretical perspectives in English, Spanish or Portuguese. We
encourage panels or papers related to linguistics, literature,
transatlantic studies, performance studies, film and media, Chicano/a
studies, ethnic and indigenous studies, religious studies, gender and
queer studies. Papers may use an interdisciplinary approach to the
arts, issues of gender, and conceptions of identity.

Submission Information:

Language(s): English, Spanish or Portuguese

Format of abstract: Microsoft Word (*.doc/ *.docx). Not to exceed 250
words in length. Please include your name, the title of your
presentation, affiliation and phone number

Paper format: Presentations should not exceed eight pages (20 minutes
reading length)

Abstracts and questions: ucrhispanics at gmail.com

.

We hope to see you at our conference either as a panelist or as part
of our audience!

For up-to-date information about the conference, you can visit our blog at:

http://ucrhispanics.blogspot.com/

For information on our Department:

http://www.hispanicstudies.ucr.edu/

You may view a map to our campus at:

http://campusmap.ucr.edu/campusMap.php

Cordially,

2010-2011 Conference Organizing Committee

--
Hispanic Studies Graduate Conference
Department of Hispanic Studies
ucrhispanics at gmail.com