[Gsaucr] Newsletter (Council Mtg Tonight)

GSA Public Relations gsaucr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 14:39:38 PST 2008

Dear Grads,

In this week's newsletter, you'll find information regarding:

*1.  GSA Council Meeting, TODAY February 13th
2.  One Spot Open for UCSA Lobby Conference March 1st-3rd!
3.  Coffee Social – February 21st
4.  Pre-Game Bash – February 23rd
5.  UC Student Regent
6.  Grad Student Experience Survey
7.  Graduate Student Health Insurance FAQ Online Resource
8.  Building a Grassroots Coalition between UC Students and the UC Office of
the President (UCOP)
9.  Financial Aid Testimonials
10.  Outreach **Opportunity**, March 8th
11.  Engineering-Management Graduate Student Colloquium
12.  Call for Grad Student Art *

Please read below for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------* *

*1.  GSA Council Meeting, TODAY February 13th*

Today's council meeting will be held at 6pm in Commons 355.  The agenda is
available on our website.  Hope to see you there!

*2.  One Spot Open for UCSA Lobby Conference March 1st-3rd!*

We have one spot open in the GSAUCR Delegation going to the UCSA Lobby
Conference March 1st-3rd. So if you missed the deadline, and are still
interested in going to the conference and to lobby at the State Capital,
please contact our Legislative Liaison, Gary Coyne, at
UCRsociologyTA at gmail.com

*3.  Coffee Social – February 21st*

The GSA Party Committee will host a coffee social for grad students on
Thursday, February 21st from 11am until 1pm.  Come join us in the Grad
Student Lounge for free coffee, snacks, and a little grad student
socialization.

*4.  Pre-Game Bash – February 23rd*

The GSA, with funding from Student Life, will be hosting a Pre-Game Grad
Bash on Saturday, February 23rd from 3pm until about 4:45pm at the Getaway
Cafe.  We'll have free pizzas then head over to the Homecoming game at 5pm,
followed by HEAT at 7pm.  Come get the evening started with you fellow grad
students … on us!

*5.  UC Student Regent*

Apply to be the student regent.  Being Student Regent it is a two-year
commitment where the first year is served as "Regent-Designate" and the
second as a voting member to the Board of Regents. For more information go
to: http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/studentreg.html

If you wish to apply, simply fill out an application at the GSA office or
electronically at the link provided above.  Applications are due by *February
21st 2008*.

*6.  Grad Student Experience Survey*

The GSA wants to know about your graduate student experience here at UCR, so
we've created a survey.  Please check your UCR email for the link to the
survey (it will be sent shortly).  Fill it out by March 14th, 2008 and
you'll be entered in a drawing to win a free ipod shuffle or external hard
drive … its your choice!

*7.  Graduate Student Health Insurance FAQ Online Resource
*
The GSHIP Committee is in the process of creating an online resource where
graduate students can find answers to frequently asked questions.  Please
send possible questions to Laura Bellew, GSHIP Committee Chair, at
lbell003 at ucr.edu.

Look for this resource coming in Spring Quarter 2008.

*8.  Building a Grassroots Coalition between UC Students and the UC Office
of the President (UCOP)*

UCOP recently met with UC Students in an effort to build a grassroots
coalition and to establish more lines of communication between UC students
and UCOP.  UCOP wants to register as many students as possible at
www.ucforcalifornia.org. Please sign up, so you can let UCOP know what
issues are of importance to you, how you feel about rising fees, and
anything else you want them to know about. Pass the link on to your friends,
parents, and fellow students.  In addition, as more students get involved, a
blog will be created so that students can comment directly to UCOP about how
they feel regarding rising tuition costs, etc.  There is also a Facebook
page…so again…sign up!

www.ucforcalifornia.org

http://uci.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6756592601

www.universityofcalifornia.edu/advocacy

*9.  Financial Aid Testimonials*

Do you receive financial aid? UCSA is working on getting better financial
aid for all UC students, including a system-wide financial policy that
provides all UC students the best financial package possible, and year round
financial aid for graduate students. We need your personal stories to
illustrate the lacking in financial aid to keep with the rapidly rising
costs of attending UCR. For more information please contact the GSA Campus
Organizing Director Ching-In Chen at echen014 at student.ucr.edu

*10.  Outreach **Opportunity**, March 8th *

Upward Bound is looking for graduate students to participate in a panel for
their students.  Upward Bound is a federally funded TRIO program that serves
first generation, low income high school students.  For more information
contact Lena Tisdale: lenat at ucr.edu

*11.  Engineering-Management Graduate Student Colloquium
*
The Bourns College of Engineering and Anderson Graduate School of Management
will be holding a joint graduate student colloquium to discuss innovation in
local technology-based companies. This informal meeting will provide an
overview of the WIRED project (Workforce Innovation in Regional Economic
Development) and promote exchange of ideas between engineering and business
students. The meeting will be held in *EBU II 205 on February 19^th from 12-1
pm*. Free lunch will be served!! Seating is limited so please RSVP to Henry
Vu (hvu at engr.ucr.edu).

*12.  Call for Grad Student Art*

If you are a musician, have a demo tape/CD that you would like to have
featured in our lounge……If you are a writer and would like to display your
work on our poet's block or story wall….If you have paintings, that you
would like featured in our art gallery…..Please contact Alex Cortez:
gsaucr at ucr.edu

If you would like more information, please go to the GSA website or contact
the GSA at gsaucr at yahoo.com.

Graduate Student Association
203 Commons
University of California Riverside