[GSAUCR] Newswire 12/2/08

President GSAUCR president.gsaucr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 14:32:24 PST 2008

Hello Fellow Graduate Students,

         Here are the latest happenings in the GSA newsworld:

1)   Council Meeting

2)   Finals Week Coffee Break

3)   Toy Drive

4)   Student Regent

GSA Council Meeting, *Tomorrow* *Wednesday* 12/3/08

Our December Council Meeting will be held tomorrow, December 3rd , in
Commons 355 at 6pm.  Council Representatives: be sure to be there on time.
We will have guests from the Office of Design and Construction, from TAPS.  We
are also voting on a few bylaws changes and for approval of funds for this
year's James Young Colloquium.  For further information contact Alex Cortez
@ gsaucr at ucr.edu

Finals Week Coffee Breaks *Monday- Thursday* 12/8/08-12/11/08

Coffee and treats are on the GSA during finals week! Stop by our office on
the second floor of the Commons (Commons 203, next to ASUCR) at the
following dates and times for FREE delicious COFFEE and snacks:

Monday Dec 8: 2pm-3pm

Tuesday Dec 9: 11am-12pm

Wednesday Dec 10: 2pm-3pm

Thursday Dec 11: 11am-12pm

And since you are coming by for coffee anyways, why not bring a toy to
donate to our holiday toy drive and help a needy child this season. Don't
miss this opportunity! This is the last time GSA will feed you for all of
2008! anne.hansen at email.ucr.edu or publicity.gsa at ucr.edu

Toy Drive now 12/3/08 through *Thursday* 12/18/08

GSA is helping our first year medical students with their toy drive. We are
in need  of toys for children (ages of  2-16yrs, with the majority ranging
from 2-9yrs). Please bring your *unwrapped gift* to the GSA office Commons
203.  They don't have to be fancy or expensive a barbie, a soccer ball, or a
cool educational book.....would be perfect gifts!!! Also, if anyone has any
used books that would suite this age range, any old soccer/athletic
equipment, or old toys to donate to the Community Center (Renacimiento or
Rebirth), this would also be greatly appreciated.  The children you will be
helping are come from broken homes and anything that we do will make a HUGE
DIFFERENCE to these children. The toys will be distributed at an event on
December 19th, *donations* for this party are welcomed. For further details
please refer to: *http://www.dailybulletin.com/neighborhoodwatch/ci_3885659*

There will be boxes at the GSA office and the deadline is *December 18th at
5 pm*.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Evita Limon
(AAO BMD) elimo002 at student.ucr.edu

Student Regent Applications

For those of you who are interested in getting (super) involved in the
University of California, the process of selecting the next Student Regent
of the UC is starting. The student Regent is a voting member of The Regents
of the University of California, attending all meetings of the Board and its
Committees and serving a one-year term commencing July 1st. The Board of
Regents meets six times a year, every other month, in two-day meetings.

The application for 2010-2011 student regent is now available online

at http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/app10.pdf, and there will
be an informational session at UCR hosted by the current student Regent on
January 8th location to be announced.

If you want more information on what the job entails, what the selection
process is like or anything like that please contact Gary Coyne at
EVP.GSAUCR at yahoo.com

We hope to see you at our future events.  Be sure to contact me if you have
any questions, comments, suggestions, or concerns.  Take care!

Yours truly,

Alex Cortez

--
Alejandro Cortez
PhD Candidate

President
Graduate Student Association
University of California Riverside
www.gsa.ucr.edu
Office: (951) 827-3740
Fax: (951) 827-6358

"One's greatest nemesis is one's self when one dares not to think openly"  -
Anonymus