[Gradstudents] Reminder: Fall 2023 New TA Orientation Registration is Open

Heather A Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Thu Sep 21 15:52:44 PDT 2023

Dear New Teaching Assistants:

Please see the note below from TADP regarding mandatory orientation.

-Heather

________________________________

My name is Ashley Harlow and I am the new TA Development Program Manager. I wanted to email you all to politely request you remind your graduate students that registration for Fall's New Teaching Assistant (TA) Orientation is now open through our website: https://tadp.ucr.edu/ta-training/orientation

The orientation is mandatory for all new teaching assistants, even if they have worked as a TA at another institution. Once the UCR Graduate Division New TA Orientation has been completed, the student will not need to take it again.

All New TA Orientation components will be conducted online via Canvas/eLearn. The orientation will be asynchronous; however, our expectation is that each TA will complete the required training between the beginning of the quarter (8/25) and the end of week 3. In accordance with the terms of the collective bargaining agreement currently in place with the union representing graduate student workers, the required elements of the training (as mandated by the Academic Senate) should take approximately four hours to complete. Resources for both classroom and online teaching technologies, relevant campus partners, and best practices in pedagogy will be provided in additional, non-mandatory sessions.

The New TA Orientation will include:

  *   Mandatory session on basic pedagogy (organization, instruction, and knowledge)
  *   Mandatory session on teaching in a diverse classroom and building rapport with students
  *   Mandatory session on TA rights and responsibilities
  *   Mandatory session on FERPA rules and regulations for TAs
  *   Mandatory presentation by the UAW
  *   Campus resource materials
  *   Pedagogical resource materials
  *   Technological resource materials

The Teaching Assistant Development Program (TADP) has limited staff and resources so, if graduate students fail to complete the required trainings by the deadlines outlined, we cannot guarantee that everyone will be certified.

Registration and other information available here: https://tadp.ucr.edu/ta-training/orientation.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at tadp at ucr.edu<mailto:tadp at ucr.edu>.

Thank you,

--

Ashley Harlow, Ph.D.
TA Development Program Manager, GradSuccess

Preferred pronouns: She/Her/Hers