[Gradstudents] Graduate Division Fellowships and Awards

Heather A Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Fri Dec 1 12:50:14 PST 2023

Dear SOE Graduate Students,

Please find the information below from the Graduate Division regarding fellowships, post-doc award, and faculty mentor award.

Note: the internal department deadline for the Graduate Division fellowships is January 2, 2024. This includes letters of recommendation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Heather

________________________________
1. Graduate Division Fellowships
This is the official call for the 2024-25 fellowships for continuing students.
These awards have changed. We will no longer be providing GRMP fellowships and programs will no longer receive guaranteed allocated fellowships. Instead, the purpose of these programs is to relieve students of teaching or equivalent to focus on their dissertation work and to complete their PhD in a timely manner.

There are 3 fellowship opportunities for PhD students who have advanced to candidacy and have a GPA of >3.5. I am attaching a document that covers all of the below information and details on eligibility.

DD-HSI Pre-Professoriate Fellowship Award
The DD-HSI awards have not changed.
The fellowship supports outstanding students with 3 quarters at $12,000 stipend per quarter and paid tuition and comes with a $10,000 grant.
Eligibility for these awards requires a terminal degree from a Californian HSI. This includes UCR. For the UCOP list please see: https://www.ucop.edu/graduate-studies/_files/list-of-ca-hsis.pdf
A Master's degree from within a PhD program does not qualify.
Each program has the opportunity to nominate 1 student for this award.
3 students will receive this award.
Applications require a 2 page max research statement, a diversity statement and 2 letters of recommendation.

Dissertation Year Fellowship Awards (DYFAs)
These fellowships have not changed and support PhD students for 3 quarters at $12,000 stipend per quarter and paid tuition. These awards are aimed at supporting outstanding students going into their final year of their PhD starting in the next academic year (2024/25).
Each program has the opportunity to nominate 1 student for this award.
3 students will receive this award.
Applications require a 2 page max research statement, a diversity statement and 2 letters of recommendation.

Dissertation Completion Fellowship Awards (DCFAs)
These fellowships are new and support PhD students for up to 2 quarters and have to be used in the Spring and/or Summer of 2024. Students will receive $10,000 stipend per quarter and paid tuition. These awards are aimed at supporting students to complete their degree this current academic year.
The number of nominations for DCFAs each program has can be found in the attached document and is dependent on the size of the program.
We expect to support ~50% of nominations.
Applications require a 1 page max research statement and a letter of recommendation from their thesis mentor which requires acknowledgement of the candidate's plans to graduate within the award period.

Students should use the links below to submit their applications:
DYFA: https://grad.ucr.edu/register/DYFA_Award_App
DCFA:  https://grad.ucr.edu/register/DCFA_Award_App
HSI:  https://grad.ucr.edu/register/HSI_Award_App

Internal department application deadline: January 2, 2024

________________________________
2. Postdoc Awards
In collaboration with the Postdoc Association, we are continuing our new awards for Postdocs. These members of our campus are intrinsic to our academic research, mentorship structure and are going through an essential and important transition from being a student to preparing for a senior role in academia or industry. To support and recognize the outstanding contributions of members of this community we will make 2 awards for excellence in mentorship, research and service.

Applications and nominations require a CV or equivalent, a research statement, a diversity statement and 2 letters of recommendation.
The deadline for applications is January 16th 2024.
Please use the link provided:  https://form.jotform.com/230466432058959

________________________________
3. Faculty Awards
Our annual faculty awards recognize excellence in mentorship. Being a good mentor to our graduate students is one of the most important parts of our job as professors and is frequently underappreciated. It is a contribution to our students and our graduate programs that deserves recognition. To that end, Graduate Council and the Graduate Division are now accepting nominations for:

The Senate 2024 Doctoral Dissertation Advisor/Mentoring Award
The recipient will be recognized at the Commencement Ceremony and receive a prize of $3000.
The Graduate Division's 2024 Commitment to Graduate Diversity Award
The recipient will be recognized at the Commencement Ceremony receive a prize of $3000.

Please consider nominating your own mentors and colleagues for these prestigious awards. Attached is a copy of the formal announcement and last year's winners. Please use the link below to nominate: https://form.jotform.com/50605483789971

________________________________

Heather Killeen (she/her/hers)
Graduate Program Coordinator
School of Education