[Gradstudents] Stata Workshop Series by Dr.Huber from StataCorp

Heather A Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Fri Apr 28 14:15:32 PDT 2023

GradQuant Stata Workshop Series with Dr. Chuck Huber
Tuesday, 5/9; 10:00am - 3:00pm in LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]

10:00am - How to Create Basic Stata Commands
11:00am - How to Create Basic Stata Estimation Commands
1:00pm - Linear Regression, Margins, and Marginsplot
2:00pm - Introduction to Customizable Tables

Speaker's Bio:

Dr. Chuck Huber, Director of Statistical Outreach, StataCorp

Chuck Huber is Director of Statistical Outreach at StataCorp<https://www.stata.com/> and Adjunct Associate Professor of Biostatistics at New York University. In addition to working with Stata's team of software developers, he produces instructional videos for the Stata Youtube channel, writes blog entries, develops online NetCourses and gives talks about Stata at conferences and universities. Most of his current work is focused on statistical methods used by behavioral and health scientists. He has published in the areas of neurology, human and animal genetics, alcohol and drug abuse prevention, nutrition and birth defects.

Session Information:

1.How to Create Basic Stata Commands
Tuesday, May 09, 10:00AM - 11:00AM,   LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]
This talk will introduce the basics of creating custom Stata commands. You will learn how to store things in memory, where Stata stores things in memory and how to access them, how to handle conditions and branching, and how to use loops.  We will then demonstrate how to use these tools to write custom Stata commands using -program-, -args-, and -syntax-. You will learn how to write commands to perform simple calculations, post-estimation calculations, and create your own graphics commands. Note that this talk does not demonstrate how to create your own estimation commands.

2. How to Create Basic Stata Estimation Commands
Tuesday, May 09, 11:00AM - 12:00AM,   LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]
This talk is a continuation of How to Create Basic Stata Commands. I will demonstrate how to create a basic estimation command for personal use.  You will learn how to create a command to convert Stata variables to matrices, use matrix calculations to fit models, and display the results in standard Stata output. Then you will learn how to create commands that use -ml- to maximize likelihood functions.  We will also demonstrate how to adapt your commands to handle survey weights.

3.Linear Regression, Margins, and Marginsplot
Tuesday, May 09, 1:00PM - 2:00PM,  LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]
In this talk I demonstrate how to fit linear regression models which include continuous, binary, and categorical covariates. I show how to use Stata's factor variable notation to fit models with interactions, and how to use Stata's -margins- and -marginsplot- commands to visualize the results of the models.

4. Introduction to Customizable Tables
Tuesday, May 09, 2:00AM - 3:00PM,  LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]
This talk will introduce the new customizable tables in Stata 17. You will learn how to easily create cross tabulations, tables of summary statistics, and tables of regression results using the updated -table- command. You will also see how you can create customized tables after you collect results from any Stata command. This means your table can include summary statistics, results of standard hypothesis tests, regression results, and results of tests and fit statistics obtained after model fitting. With the results collected from Stata commands, you will learn how to specify a table layout---what belongs on the rows and columns---and how to customize the look of the table. You can modify labels in headers, numerical format, text alignment, cell shading, border lines, and much more. You will also learn how to export your customized tables to Word, Excel, PDF, LaTeX, HTML, Markdown, SMCL, and plain text.
CLICK TO REGISTER<https://ucr.mywconline.com/>

For more information, Please visit  GradQuant Website<https://gradquant.ucr.edu/programs/workshops/spring-2023>

To register on WC Online for GradQuant workshops, click here<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/0xN2WHGS76Iu0AkPY1AuAuQWmnXR-jNP1DF9QekCBx_4ode5wHA8F9Mr96e3pQ3I/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h5/G1478GZ1Cntcs3WYscYUvwn0EUamVDizdLZUlZRXXn4>.

Other Related Workshops at GradQuant:

Causal Inference: What's Trending in Difference-in-Differences
Tuesday, May 2nd (5/2)
2:00pm - 3:50pm in LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]

Join us to learn the most popular policy analysis method - Difference in Differences. Our session covers step-by-step instructions for model setup and robustness checks regarding staggered design.

Bringing Satellite Data Down to Earth
Presented by: Guest Speaker (Department of Computer Science and Engineering)
Wednesday, May 17 (5/17)
10:00AM - 12:00PM in LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]
Check out this workshop to explore satellite images! We will play with general operations that data scientists will do, and then we will introduce the going on research work in handling large scaled satellite images (e.g. PM2.5, nightlight) from UCR Big-Data-Lab.

Bootstrapping and Randomization Inference with Stata
Tuesday, June 6 (6/6)
2:00pm - 3:50pm in LFSC 1425<https://mx.technolutions.net/ss/c/3umeT0p8JC2YP-dw0QylhEzy2jRZyiKr1k_A2-IEGm0eNyclk7XtEav9e4_y6oup/3vm/sBmgG_aZTj-PloNrlf9cfg/h4/yFfN3QdBbwZa0u1vTjK5LAADRS_ahp4GPv2ccvTPcY8> [IN-PERSON]
Join us to learn the most popular policy analysis method - Difference in Differences. Our session covers step-by-step instructions for model setup and robustness checks regarding staggered design.
Come join us and learn about resampling methods (e.g. bootstrapping) that can enhance accuracy and help quantify the uncertainty of a population parameter.

For more information, Please visit the GradQuant Website<https://gradquant.ucr.edu/programs/workshops/spring-2023>