[Gradstudents] Workgroup Charge: Future of UC Doctoral Programs

Heather A Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 27 09:11:53 PDT 2023

Dear SOE Graduate Students,

Please find the message below from PhD student Patriccia Ordonez-Kim.

-Heather

________________________________

I wanted to inform you about the Academic Planning Council (APC) Workgroup on the Future of UC Doctoral Programs. The workgroup aims to build upon past recommendations on graduate education and evaluate the current and projected demand for Ph.D. recipients, the fiscal climate in California, and a graduate funding model composed of student financial support and part-time employment.

The workgroup will consider what needs to be retained in the current mode of doctoral education and what, if anything, needs to change to sustain the commitment to the University’s tripartite mission of instruction, research, and service. To conduct its work, the workgroup will use existing University data sources, identify data gaps, and consult with campus workgroups to determine best practices and innovations that might benefit systemwide.

We also seek two graduate students to serve on the workgroup for one year. The selected graduate student representatives will be expected to attend one-hour meetings once per month through June 2024 and adhere to all workgroup guidelines regarding executive sessions, workgroup communications, and confidentiality.

Interested students are encouraged to self-nominate by completing the nomination form (attached) and submitting it to executivedirector at ucgpc.org<mailto:executivedirector at ucgpc.org> by Friday, April 28, 2023.

The workgroup plans to share preliminary recommendations with the APC by the end of October 2023 and a final report by June 2024. We appreciate your support and look forward to working together to ensure the future success of UC Doctoral Programs.

Sincerely,
Patriccia Ordoñez-Kim, M.A. (she/her)
Executive Director
UC Graduate and Professional Council<https://www.ucgpc.org>