[Gradstudents] Grad Student Opportunities and Events/Resources in Winter Quarter

Heather Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Thu Jan 6 10:46:01 PST 2022

Dear SOE Graduate Students,

Please find the message below from GradSuccess regarding events and services for Winter 2022.

I hope you are well and ready for the term. Happy new year!

-Heather

________________________________

Good afternoon all,

Happy New Year! I hope you are managing to stay safe and well despite the current circumstances.

I have attached some flyers related to upcoming GradSuccess/Graduate Division programs for Winter 2022 - please forward, post, and share with your students so they are up to date. Also, Graduate Division staff are working remotely for the first two weeks of the quarter, but you can still get hold of me by email or phone during this time.

Here are our updates for Winter (also in attached flyers):

  *   GradSuccess has moved its weekly Coffee Social online for the first two weeks of the quarter. Check online for more information on our hybrid operations in Winter 2022: https://gsrc.ucr.edu/gradsuccess-hybrid-operations-winter-2022.
  *   GradQuant will be hosting all workshops and drop-in hours on Zoom this term, and consultations will be held on Skype. We have several new part-time consultants working with us this quarter, so more consultations times are available and we're offering 12 workshops on topics including GitHub, Python, R, SQL, bioinformatics, ANOVA, experimental design and more. Learn more at: https://gradquant.ucr.edu/programs/workshops/winter-2022.
  *   The Graduate Writing Center will also be offering a number of workshops in Winter, starting with Academic Reading Strategies tomorrow (Thursday) at 2pm and going on to cover literature reviews, English grammar, abstracts, and more. Learn more at: https://gwc.ucr.edu/programs/workshops.
  *   The TA Development Program is hosting seven workshops this quarter open to all TAs and addressing topics such as "Fair and Fast Grading," "Setting Learning Outcomes," and approaches to teaching both labs and discussion sections. Learn more at: https://tadp.ucr.edu/resources/workshops. Also keep in mind the TADP team has online office hours every week if you'd like to talk one-on-one with an experienced peer about any teaching-related challenges you're facing (https://tadp.ucr.edu/our-staff).
  *   It's time for Grad Slam 2022! First round video submissions are due January 24th, and preparation workshops will be offered online on January 11th and 18th. Learn more at: https://gsrc.ucr.edu/grad-slam-2022.
  *   After Grad: Career Pathways Week will be coming up the first week of February on Zoom. We have a wonderful keynote speaker from UNC Chapel Hill and sessions throughout the week on identifying transferable skills, turning your CV into a resume, and alumni panelists who've built great careers in a wide range of industries. Learn more at: https://gsrc.ucr.edu/aftergrad/cpw.

  *   Sadly, we will NOT be able to host the Stress Relief Fair on January 25th after all. We were so excited to bring it back! But, given the current level of Omicron transmission and uncertainty over UCR event guidelines going forward, we've decided to hold off for now and bring it back for the spring quarter instead. So we hope to see you for tacos and lawn games and miniature pony pets in the Life Sciences/Spieth Courtyard the afternoon of Tuesday, April 19th.
Thanks very much everyone. Please take care of yourselves and I hope you have a great winter term.

Best,
Hillary
Hillary Jenks, Ph.D.

Director, GradSuccess

University of California, Riverside

[cid:d976cc17-46f9-4823-93d3-154bc6399edd]

951-827-6113<tel:951-827-6113>

[cid:a77b424a-0a60-40a3-92c1-3b1e560fe931]

hillary.jenks at ucr.edu<mailto:hillary.jenks at ucr.edu>

[cid:7d5b6f3a-3b47-4d64-beb5-3cd1b2c94ba9]

graduate.ucr.edu/gradsuccess<https://graduate.ucr.edu/gradsuccess>

[cid:1b1a21d5-0c74-4090-94de-0a8915c4ae85]

University Office Building 141

[cid:994f5e37-c1a9-49c3-a2f0-67ac1528e4c0]

[facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/UCRGradSuccess/>

[twitter]<https://twitter.com/UCRGradSuccess>

[linkedin]<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13575315/>

[instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/ucrgradsuccess/>