[Gradstudents] Webinar: Breaking Barriers Through Governance

Heather Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 4 10:37:08 PDT 2022

Breaking Barriers Through Governance: The Role, Import, and Potential of Young People on Boards of Higher Education

Dr. Raquel M. Rall, UC Riverside School of Education

Valeria Dominguez, Doctoral Candidate, UC Riverside School of Education

Join us as we bring together UC Board of Regent Student Trustee Emeriti to discuss the importance of civic engagement and young leadership at the University of California. These conversations aim to educate students about the intentional ways in which students participate in, lead, and change higher education. We invite student trustees to present in seminars open to the UC student population and discuss their experiences, challenges, and growth as student leaders. There is a great deal to learn from these students who have spent their tenure on the board constructing what it means to be a leader, what it means to be civically engaged, and what it means to make a difference.

Our program aims to advance conversations around the relevance of and need for democratic participation on college campuses and further campus dialogue related to access, diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice. With an eye on young board members, these talks stand to illuminate motivation for and best practices of how civic engagement manifests into everyday decisions of these pivotal leaders and document the legacy of these students responding beyond words to act as influential decision-makers.

April 14th 12pm-1pm PST Event:

Jamaal Muwwakkil, UC Student Regent 2020-2021

Hayley Weddle, UC Student Regent 2019-2020

Jesse Bernal, UC Student Regent 2009-2010

Jonathan Stein, UC Student Regent 2012-2013

May 12th 12pm-1pm PST Event:

Jess Bravin, UC Student Regent 1996-1997

Paul Barragan-Monge, UC Student Regent 2017-2018

Marcela Ramirez-Stapleton, UC Student Regent 2016-2017

Max Espinosa, UC Student Regent 1998-1999

June 2nd 12pm-1pm PST Event:

All eight UC Regent Emeritus panelists

Current UC Student Regent Alexis Atsilvsgi Zaragoza 2021-2022

Our conversation on June 2nd will invite panelists to work together with audience members to address the most critical UC issues in today's environment. We hope the audience will learn that the role of Student Regent is often met with conflicting needs of their constituents, issues that require extensive collaboration with state and local leadership, and issues that require both short and long-term problem-solving.

Student attendees at each event will be entered into a raffle for a gift card!

This project is funded by the UC National Center for Free Speech and Civic Engagement VOICE Fellowship.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D8480F.F029A500][cid:image002.jpg at 01D8480F.F029A500]
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D8480F.F029A500]
[cid:image004.jpg at 01D8480F.F029A500]