[Gradstudents] Professional Development Opportunity - Serve on SOE Committee

Heather Killeen heather.killeen at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 20 12:16:25 PDT 2021

Dear SOE PhD Students:

Would you like to become more involved in the SOE? Consider serving on a SOE standing committee! The Executive Committee invites you to apply for this opportunity to become more involved, to make sure that student voices are heard during meetings that set policy, and to get a glimpse into the workings of faculty committees.

We will select two PhD students to serve on department committees for 2021-2022 academic year. We are currently accepting applications until Monday, September 27th.

Students serve one of these two committees:

The Graduate Advisory Committee meets once a month and the duties pertain to the operation of all of our graduate degree programs.
The Teacher Education Committee meets once a month and its duty is to advise on the operation of the teacher education programs.

In cases of conflict-of-interest or if there are confidentiality concerns during a meeting, the graduate students may be asked to excuse themselves.

All meetings for Fall 2021 will be conducted via Zoom. Winter and Spring 2022 are currently scheduled for in-person, but subject to change based on local guidelines.

We are seeking self-nominations; faculty may also nominate students. If you are interested, please send Heather Killeen one paragraph about yourself, which committee you wish to serve on and why you are interested, accompanied by your CV. The Executive Committee will consider all applications; a nomination is no guarantee of selection.

We look forward to working with you on one of these committees!

Joseph Kahne
Chair, SOE Executive Committee