[Gradstudents] Welcome Message from SOE Interim Dean Rodriguez

GSOEDean gsoedean at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 20 10:11:16 PDT 2021

Welcome to the Fall 2021 quarter! We are so excited to welcome you to campus as we resume both in-person classes and remote classes.

For many of you, this marks the beginning of your education at UC Riverside, and your first time on UCR's beautiful campus. And for those returning, welcome back! You'll see some notable changes on campus, including the Student Success Center, a three-story student instructional and activity space which is set to open this month.

Perhaps the most notable change is that our school has been officially renamed from the Graduate School of Education to the School of Education (SOE), effective today. The new name reflects the scope of the school's research, community engagement, and academic programs, specifically the undergraduate degree program, which now accounts for 60% of our school's enrollment.

I am thrilled to share this news with you, and you can read the official announcement in UCR News here<https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2021/09/17/graduate-school-education-changes-name>. We are so excited to embark on this new chapter of the school together, and invite you stop by the Dean's Suite, Sproul 1207, to get some SOE branded materials.

As we navigate the Fall quarter together, and adapt to the evolving pandemic, I encourage you be patient with yourselves and others. Please remember to prioritize your physical and mental health, and to also protect members of our larger community by wearing your mask, staying home if you're sick, and getting tested if you have any COVID symptoms. If you have any questions, our Student Health Center is available and can be contacted here<https://studenthealth.ucr.edu/>.

SOE's faculty and staff have been working hard to welcome you back to campus, making your safety and success at UCR a top priority. If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to your academic advisors and faculty members. SOE is here to support you along your educational journey, and we look forward to connecting with you this year. Have a great start to the Fall quarter!

Sincerely,

Louie Rodriguez
Interim Dean
SOE