[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 30 09:55:42 PST 2024

Hello everyone,

Our next Geospatial/GIS meetup will be on Tuesday, February 13 from 12:00-12:50 pm.

The meetup will probably be held on Zoom only, not in Rivera 140 (the reminder email you'll receive on February 12th will specify for sure). The meetup will be recorded.

In honor of UC Love Data Week<https://uc-love-data-week.github.io/>, I'll give an informal presentation on Working with GIS Data.

A map created in a GIS may dazzle us with its visual appeal and complexity. However, if the data it contains is out-of-date, offset, or incomplete in regard to the intended purpose, how useful is it?
At this meetup we'll address things to know when discovering and managing GIS data. I'll touch on common file formats and data sources, quality, and management techniques, all at a beginner-to-intermediate level.

-->Questions, anecdotes, and additional input from attendees will be welcome!

The meetup will start with announcements of general interest.

You may use this Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-791349897847?aff=oddtdtcreator> to register for this meetup and/or the one on March 12.

Here's the short version of the Zoom information:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99875141750?pwd=Q3VYcEZZbldLSi9SZVByeXFuMjJGUT09

Meeting ID: 998 7514 1750
Passcode: 701487

---

One tap mobile
+16694449171,,99875141750#,,,,*701487# US
+16699006833,,99875141750#,,,,*701487# US (San Jose)

Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone you know who may be interested.

I hope you can join us - because I'm sure you'll agree, nothing says "Mardi Gras" like a discussion about GIS data management!

Best,

-Janet Reyes

Geospatial Information Librarian