[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Wed Jan 3 11:09:29 PST 2024

Happy New Year, everyone!

Our first Geospatial/GIS meetup of 2024 will be on Tuesday, January 16 from 12:00-12:50 pm.  NOTE: this is the day after the MLK Jr. holiday.

The meetup will be held in Rivera Library, Room 140 and on Zoom. It will be recorded.

(To find Rivera 140: turn right after entering Rivera Library. Keep walking until you pass the elevators. Room 140 is on the corner of the hallway you'll see to your left.)

Our presenter will be UCR Psychology graduate student Liz Wilson, who will speak on how Cultural Tightness Predicts Regional Personality, Beliefs, and Values.

Cultural tightness refers to the strength of social norms and tolerance for norm violations within regions. We investigated the link between cultural tightness and beliefs, values, and personality traits within the United States and across 56 nations and found that cultural tightness was a parsimonious explanation for many of these regional differences.

Liz Wilson is a 5th year PhD candidate in the social/personality subfield of psychology. Her main research questions seek to understand why intergroup bias varies between people and changes over time and place. Though much of her earlier work  focused on this question at the individual level, she is delighted that her more recent research has taken her to the regional level and opened up the world of spatial psychology!

The meetup will start with announcements of general interest.

The Eventbrite for our Winter 2024 meetups should be ready shortly; when it is, you'll be able to find it on the bottom of UCR Library's home page<https://library.ucr.edu/> under "Events and Workshops." The Eventbrite will allow you to register for any or all of the meetups for the quarter.

Here's the short version of the Zoom information for attending remotely:

Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/99875141750?pwd=Q3VYcEZZbldLSi9SZVByeXFuMjJGUT09

Meeting ID: 998 7514 1750
Passcode: 701487

---

One tap mobile
+16694449171,,99875141750#,,,,*701487# US
+16699006833,,99875141750#,,,,*701487# US (San Jose)

Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone you know who may be interested.

I hope you can join us!

Best,

-Janet Reyes

Geospatial Information Librarian