[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 27 11:25:04 PDT 2022

Hello everyone,

Our next Geospatial/GIS meetup will be held on Thursday, November 10, from 12:00 - 12:50 pm PDT.

This will be a hybrid meeting, with an in-person option.

*         If you're willing and able, please join us in Rivera Library, Room 140. It's a large room with tables and chairs and plenty of space to spread out. To find it, turn to the right after entering the library. You'll see Room 140 on the corner of the hallway to your left just after you pass the elevators.

*         Or, feel free to join by Zoom if that works better for you.
Our presenter will be Shengxiao (Alex) Li, a postdoctoral researcher in the School of Public Policy at the University of California Riverside. Alex will present on Neighborhood Deployment in Policing Activities: the Role of the Built and Social Environment in Traffic Stop Outcomes in San Diego, California.

This study examines the role of the social and built environment in the outcomes after traffic stops. It draws on multiple open data sources at the federal and city level, and uses several R packages to merge different data sets based on the geospatial location of the traffic stops. It sheds light on how land use, economic development, and policing education and training policies can help reduce biased policing activities after traffic stops.

Shengxiao (Alex) Li is a postdoctoral researcher in the School of Public Policy at the University of California Riverside. He recently received his PhD in City and Regional Planning at the University of Pennsylvania. His research interests mainly include age-friendly housing and transportation, and the interaction of transportation, land use, technology and social equity in the United States and China. He has published more than 20 peer-reviewed papers in transportation, urban planning, and public health journals. He obtained his bachelor's degrees in urban management and economics, and master's degree in urban and regional planning from Peking University, China. He also received his master's degree in city and regional planning from the University of Pennsylvania.

We'll also have time for announcements, discussion, and sharing geospatial news or projects. The meetup will be recorded.
Respond "yes" or "tentative" to this calendar invitation to indicate your interest in attending, and to receive the Zoom meeting information from me shortly before the meetup. (Another option: register through Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-422017705317> to receive an automated email with the Zoom information.)
Feel free to forward this invitation.

Hope to see you there, on Zoom or in person!

-Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UC Riverside Library