[Geospatial] Notes from the Geospatial/GIS Meetup, December 8

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Mon Dec 12 08:08:01 PST 2022

Hello all,

Attached please find the notes from the December 8 Geospatial/GIS meetup.

This meeting was recorded; video is available here<https://ucr.zoom.us/rec/share/26z7QgJPT5MOzwKknyqtUDsqP-vLkw-Cy9h87iByKnjTAzRsYDBD4l3fmydq8K66.4Lnf9aNVVdVjU3o8>. The passcode to view is   &e4NLG$0

Many thanks to our presenters, Megan Hoff and David Blumberg of the Southwest GeoReadiness Center, Naval Facilities (NAVFAC) Engineering Systems Command. They traveled all the way from San Diego to share a picture of the evolving ways in which GIS is used to support planning and day-to-day operations for naval installations.

Students who are considering a GIS career path might be particularly interested in some of the insights David and Megan shared at the end of their presentation - be sure to check it out!

Our next meetup will be on Thursday, January 12, 2023, when a UCR faculty member who is learning GIS will be asking for input on how best to approach a particular research problem.

In closing out 2022 on a geospatial note, I can't resist sharing the following, found at https://www.reddit.com/r/gis/comments/eez7jh/have_a_very_spatial_christmas/ (apologies in advance for the earworm!)

[r/gis - Have a very spatial Christmas]

Best wishes of the season and a happy new year to all!

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D90D49.5F01AFA0]