[Geospatial] Geospatial/GIS meetup

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 28 15:00:24 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

Our next Geospatial/GIS meetup will be on Wednesday, November 10, from 12:00 - 12:50 pm.

(Note that UCR will be observing the Veteran's Day holiday on November 11th, which is why the meetup is being held one day earlier than usual for this quarter.)

We are fortunate that UCR History professor David Biggs will join us on the 10th  to present on "Decolonization Wars, Reference Systems and the Ever-Shifting Map of Indochina."

This presentation will draw from David Biggs' recently published book Footprints of War: Militarized landscapes in Vietnam and it will focus on the incredible transition of mapping and aerial photography in Indochina from the end of World War II into the First Indochina War.  These transitions were technical, reflecting shifts from colonial to American-driven coordinate reference systems as well as shifts in aerial photography technologies; and they were also symbolic, as indigenous place names were changed into Vietnamese places and insurgent activity prompted new mappings of highland frontiers. Biggs' book Footprints of War is freely downloadable from UW Press here<https://uw.manifoldapp.org/projects/footprints-of-war>.

We'll also have time for announcements and discussion.

Respond "yes" or "tentative" to this calendar invitation to receive the Zoom meeting information from me shortly before the meetup. (Another option: register through Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-169417806219?aff=ebdsoporgprofile> to receive an Eventbrite email with the Zoom information.)
Feel free to share this with anyone you know who might be interested in attending.
I hope you can join us for this meetup!

-Janet