[Geospatial] REMINDER: Geospatial/GIS meetup tomorrow, November 10

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Tue Nov 9 08:35:01 PST 2021

Hello all,
Just a reminder that our next Geospatial/GIS meetup is tomorrow, Wednesday, November 10 from 12:00 - 12:50 pm PST.
UCR History professor David Biggs will join us to present on "Decolonization Wars, Reference Systems and the Ever-Shifting Map of Indochina."

This presentation will draw from Professor Biggs' recently published book Footprints of War: Militarized landscapes in Vietnam and it will focus on the incredible transition of mapping and aerial photography in Indochina from the end of World War II into the First Indochina War.  These transitions were technical, reflecting shifts from colonial to American-driven coordinate reference systems as well as shifts in aerial photography technologies; and they were also symbolic, as indigenous place names were changed into Vietnamese places and insurgent activity prompted new mappings of highland frontiers. Biggs' book Footprints of War is freely downloadable from UW Press here<https://uw.manifoldapp.org/projects/footprints-of-war>.

We'll also have time for announcements and discussion.
This meeting will be recorded.
Please note: one hour before the meetup you'll receive an email containing the Zoom meeting information if by then you have either:

  *   registered on Eventbrite<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-169417806219>, or
  *   replied "yes" or "tentative" to the calendar invite some of you received from me on October 28.
No guarantees I can accommodate last-minute requests for the Zoom info! Thanks for your understanding as we take measures to keep our meetups a safe space.
I hope you can join us!
Best,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D7D470.5E4D9F50]