[Geospatial] Notes from Geospatial/GIS meetup, August 12

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Fri Aug 13 11:33:31 PDT 2021

Hello all,
The notes from yesterday's Geospatial/GIS meetup are attached.
A video is available here<https://ucr.zoom.us/rec/share/CjRHmp4PXwtGjYp-mUWlgWq74q9I6D8Whi8HiGMwG56w08aazZ5HW_qCoCQJ0X5W.QPsmfvVUN8BSnY1K>. The access passcode to view is   ^e!M8u!A
At this meetup we discussed some takeaways from the Esri Education Summit and User Conference. Thanks to all who contributed to the discussion, on audio or in the chat!
In an email prior to the meetup, I had hinted there might be a "sneak preview" of some sort. We ran out of time at the meetup, but now I am happy to share with you the UCR Library's updated "libguide" for Maps and GIS<https://guides.lib.ucr.edu/c.php?g=171041&p=3515014>.
In particular, note the new section on Geospatial Tools! This allows you to see and compare the attributes of several tools in order to choose one that's  appropriate for your needs.
Much of the credit for this addition goes to my colleague Rachel Starry, our Digital Scholarship Librarian, who had the concept for creating the geospatial tool matrices, designed them, and contributed her knowledge regarding some of the tools.
Your feedback on the libguide is welcome!
^^^
The next Geospatial/GIS meetup<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/geospatialgis-meetups-tickets-158025369133?aff=ebdsoporgprofile> will be on Thursday, September 9. The topic is ... To Be Determined.
In fact, please contact me with any suggestions you may have for meetup presenters or topics - we'll try to make them happen!

Stay well,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image001.png at 01D79025.A4C320C0]