[Geospatial] Notes from Geospatial/GIS meetup, 102020

Janet Reyes janet.reyes at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 21 13:27:41 PDT 2020

Hello everyone,

Please find notes from Tuesday's geospatial meetup attached. The notes contain many, many hyperlinks to the resources that were discussed!

A video of the meetup is available here<https://ucr.zoom.us/rec/share/ZaepEHW5cd8F2ZjXPFLK2zBTcxvd75-t0cIOhICUIkyvqwlpIwMzoVs2VwQGx0Dt.qusq8DTvkX9os8Zu>. The access password to view is   63X^$SMu

Thanks to all who joined us - we set a new record for attendance! To the new folks who joined, from UCR and beyond - we're glad you were there, and hope to see you again.

Our special thanks to David Yu, a Data Scientist on Esri's GeoAI team, for his presentation "GeoAI: Machine Learning Meets GIS." He gave us an excellent overview of what GeoAI is, the basic steps in the process, and some of the projects in which GeoAI has helped solve real-world problems.

The next Geospatial/GIS meetup will be on Tuesday, November 10, when Candice Mays from Voice Media Ventures will speak on the Mapping Black California<https://mbccensuslab.org/> project. (Zoom garbled when I was sharing at the end of the meetup that Candice and Paulette Brown-Hinds gave the keynote at a conference I attended last week. The audience was very inspired by their work, and I'm sure our community will be too!)

Stay well,

Janet Reyes
Geospatial Information Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside
P.O. Box 5900 | Orbach Library, Room 128
Riverside, CA 92517-5900
Office: 951.827.6421 | Fax: 951.827.2255 | janet.reyes at ucr.edu<mailto:janet.reyes at ucr.edu>

Web<https://library.ucr.edu/> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ucrlibrary> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/ucrlibrary> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/ucrlibrary/> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/ucrlibraries>
[cid:image002.png at 01D6A7AD.F2DE8B20]